News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Nagging mild chest pains throughout the day

sanjay - Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:28 am

For the last 6 weeks or so I have been getting mild chest pains on and off throughout the day. These are just off the centre of the chest on both the left and right side. These areas feel sore when I put pressure there or if I take a deep breath. The pains don't seem to start or get worse with exercise as I regularly use a treadmill with no adverse effect. The pains get worse when I am driving or at work. Sometimes it gets to the stage where I have to rub the painful area or even thump it and take a deep breath. In the evening when I am at home and maybe having a drink I don't seem to notice anything. I have taken Ibuprofen but the relief is only temporary. I am nearly 40, male, 5'10, about 13st. Non-smoker, occaional drinker. BP 130/85.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
 jinkus - Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:36 am

Sanjay,

The symptoms that you are describing are atypical of a side effect of an overstressful style of living, what do you do for a living? do you consider your day to day life to be stressfull? Common triggers for stress related chest pain can be day to day things like consuming to much caffiene, i.e drinking to much coffee or tea, a stressfull job, a stressfull family life, i.e young children ect ect. How long does the shortness of breath last?

Regards

Dr Meakin - DROCS
 sanjay - Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:44 pm

Thanks Dr.Meakin for your reply.
I don't have a stressful job, work as a programmer. Family life is fairly quiet. I have one 13 year old daughter. I drink about 2 cups of tea and 2 cups of coffee a day. Nothing has really changed in my life for me to suddenly get these pains.Today for instance I was having them all day at work. The shortness of breath is a reaction to the pain and is not severe.In fact my wife says I should be the last person to suffer any stress with my lifestyle. However I do tend to get wound up quite easily and I think I have a low threshold to stress. Thanks for your help.
 jinkus - Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:08 pm

Sanjay,

Thanks for getting back to me,, Its good you don't lead a stressfull life, that will help against the problems u are going through, people who are easily stressed have a hyper sense of symptoms, in other words they are more aware of aches and pains. Although u say you are dtinking only two cups of tea and two cups of coffee a day this is still twice the daily reccemended ammount and beleive it or not cant contribute towards the problems and act as a catalyst for other things. I think at this stage I would reccemend that you consult you GP and explain what you have been experiencing and im sure he will run some test that will rule out certain cause. My reccemendation would be to have an ECG and routine Blood test to rule out underlying cardio problems.

I don't think u need to have to many concerns about this problem and im sure once you have consulted you GP and had certain tests done, assuming results come back ok, it should ease your mind which in turn should have a knock on effect on the symptoms.

Look forward to hearing from you Sanjay

Regards

Dr Meakin - DROCS

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here