Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Chest Pain

Pulseman - Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:23 pm

This morning I woke up with my left arm asleep. I had been sleeping on it for at least four hours with my right hand curled up tightly against my chest in the fetal position. When I moved to my back the hand immediateely stopped tingling but I noticed a vague pain to the left of my breastbone towards the left nipple area. I got up and walked a little bit but the pain did not change. Movement also did not change the pain. There were no other symptoms. I lay on my back and tried massaging the area but this did not change the symptom. The feeling went away after about 20 minutes, shortly after I started to lie on my right side. I have not noticed this symptom before. The feeling has not returned so far. I walk about 2.25 miles per day in 30 minutes on a treadmill and have never noticed any chest pain doing this. I had a recent CT chest scan for a lung infection which showed no abnormalities. Pulse 74 BP 131/78. My total cholesterol is 247. LDL 140, HDL 89 and triglyceride 93. Could this pain just have been from the way I was sleeping? The pain was not a pressure or squeezing type of pain. It was more just like a sensation of feeling something in that area that is not usually there
 Rhonda P, CEP - Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:21 pm

User avatar Hello Pulseman,

Do you think you may have been lying on your hand, putting pressure on your chest? Have you since experienced this sensation? You sound very health conscious and you seem to be keeping yourself very well. The symptoms don’t sound familiar to me but if you do feel this again you should definitely contact your Physician.
 Pulseman - Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:07 am

Thanks for your response. It has been over a week and has not happened again. I do know for a fact that I was sleeping on my left side with my hands up against my chest for several hours. Ever since a deviated septum operation I do not turn in my sleep as much as I used to and frequently wake up with one side or another stiff. I have been working out on the treadmill and going for bike rides and playing Basketball with the kids since then with no reocurrance. I would think if it was heart related the exercise would cause it to happen again. Perhaps it is related to starting to play Basketball again as I am Left Handed. Hopefully it will never happen again.

|