Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Mitral regurgitation / Possible Pulmonary Hypertension

Anonymous - Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:00 pm

The most recent echo cardiogram mentions for the first time Mild tricuspid regurgitation with estimated pulmonary artery systolic pressure 28 mmHg.
At what number mmHg. Would they show concern?
Also my left atrium jumped from 3.3 cm to 4.6 cm from Dec 2001 to July of 2002. I'm currently asymtomatic.
How long do you think I can go without surgery.
I'm currently takeing atenonol 50 mg and accupril 20 mg 1 x day. and an ecotrin 325mg 1 xday.

I have mitral valve prolapse. 43f, 5'6' 135lbs. Bascially active. About 2 years ago I suffered a TIA. I have modereate to severe regurgitatoin of the Mitral Valve. Trace aortic regurgitation Mild tricuspid regurgitation. mild pulmonic regurgitation. Normal mitral and aortic flow patterns. No significant aortic or mitral valve gradient. No significant left ventriculr outflow tract gradient.

I go every six months for an echo cardiogram.

RV Diameter 1.3 cm
ivs thickness . 8cm
LV post wall .9 cm
LV Diastolic Diameter 5.4 cm
LV Systolic Diameter 3.3 cm
Ejection Fraction 69%
Fraction Shortening 39%
Left Atrical Diameter 4.6 cm (dialated left atrium-remaining chamgber sizes are within normal limits)
Aortic Root Diameter 3.0 cm
Aortic Cusp seperation 2.1 cm
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:24 pm

User avatar Dear Nancy,

Thank you very much for using our website.

Your pulmonary pressure is within normal limits. The figure that is alarming for pulmonary hypertension is over 30-35 mmHg.

If you are asymptomatic and your left ventricle is not dilated or enlarged then follow up with your doctor and echocardiogram every 6-12 months is the current recommendation.

If you start to have symptoms and/or you left ventricle start to dilate then the best thing to do is to go for a repair of the valve if at all possible.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com

Anonymous - Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:25 pm

Thanks for your response.
Is a dialated left atrium very alarming when pertaining to mitral reguritation? And at what measurement might a cardiogist be concerned?
Is it less arlarming to have a dialated left atrium as compared to a dialated left ventricle?
Mine is presently dialated and 4.6 which is .6 out of range. Thanks again for your input.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:32 pm

User avatar Dear Nancy,

Thank you vey much for using our website.

Having a dilated left atrium is a reflection of one of two things, either a dilated left ventricle or a disease of the mitral valve whether stenosis or regurgitation.

The left atrium being dilated carries several risks including:
1. Blood stagnation inside the atrium, blood clot formation inside the atrium and the risk of this blood clot breaking and causing a stroke if it travels to the brain.
2. Heart rhythm becoming irregular.

Dilatation of the left ventricle usually means that there is a burden on the left ventricle in the form of more blood coming to it and that the left ventricle has to provide more space for this blood so it dilates to accomodate it. The left ventricle and atrium being dilated are two different clinical settings but are both considered clinically significant and have to followed.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope this information helped.

|