News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: When is emergency room visit necessary?

bonnie worthington - Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:33 am

Hello, thank you for having this site...I have no insurance, and am experiencing some troubles that are quite worrisome, right now. I am overweight, 40 years old, with history of occasional dizziness, lately very prone to fatigue. On a wrist bracelet type of blood pressure monitor, last night, my bp was 157/105 and pulse was 94 beats per minute. I had severe headache, sharp and more on the left side of my head and out my forehead that felt burning and then icy cold at different times, was very worried about whether to go to er or wait it out, when is the danger point? I do have occasional fleeting chunky pains in my chest, but have been very stressed lately, as well. I took aspirin and black cohosh herbal supplement because its supposed to lower blood pressure, and went to sleep. This morning upon awaking my blood pressure is 135/91 and my pulse rate is still in the 90's. Please if you can, tell me how long I can wait to see a doctor, and what would rate an emergency room visit. Are there any other over the counter or natural measures I can take to help myself in the mean time, and do you think the black cohosh is a good idea??? Thank you to anybody who can help me!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:13 am

User avatar Hi Bonnie,
Most hospitals have programs where assistance may be provided to people who have inadequate insurance, no insurance, etc. based on income guidelines. There are also clinics which offer programs to assist people who need it. I would suggest, one you call your hospital and ask about these programs and guidelines. Here is also a weblink that you may find some information.
http://www.dmas.virginia.gov/
Uncontrolled blood pressure can be very dangerous and lead to multiple health problems, for example, a stroke.....I would suggest an evaluation by a physician.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here