Question: Sore or sharp kind of pain when I breathe

Counts - Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:57 pm

Dear anyone who can help,

Im a younger guy whos about to be 18 and I work out everyday except sunday and feel that I am in pretty good shape...

Before in about 9th-11th grade I weighed alot, For example, last year i weighed 225 at the age of 17 at the height of 5'10 I am now 6'3 and weight 169-175 it vaires from day to day. But recently after I stopped swimming (my season ended) I started working out ona schedule of everyday except for Sundays.

Up untill this point I had felt on top fo the world I started drinking the recomended amoutn of water and was feeling awesome about life.

And one day I drank a drink that my friend suggested I tried that increases your energy allowing you to have endurance while you're working out, and my heart went nuts and I think I might have pulled something in my back while doing dead lifts...

That day I went home and my heart felt like it was beating at the speed of light and I kept feeling like i was going to burst... Learned my lesson never drink one of those again....

But now ever since Whenever i run or try to do something my chest kills...

For example,,,
I get this sore or sharp kind of pain when I breathe in REALLY heavy or run or play basketball or do anythign with activity or if I lay the wrong way.... I also have a cold if that means anything..

I don't' drink, smoke, do drugs.....

I'm worried I'm kind of hoping this could be a bruised rib or something cause I am quite scared

Please help
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:46 pm

Dear Counts,

you have been on the right track since an early age...so keep up the good work in sports and don't drink or take any measuring aids to boost your energy... because anyway with the right food and exercise you'll be boosted whether you like it or not 8) (if you know what i mean)...we play sports to be in a good mood...good shape...good health ...it's got alot of positive aspects.

anyway, back to your pain... how long have you been having it?! it vaguely sounds like pleurisy (inflammation in the lungs' coverings) rather than a cardiac problem!! you can just do an ECG at the time of pain and it'll tell you what's going on.
If it's pleurisy, it's probably viral and it'll take its time to resolve...if the problem persist for more than a week and getting worse,please contact your GP.

|