"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Question: Angiogram - How long

norby - Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:03 am

I had an angiogram nearly 2 years ago and I was wondering how long the results are valid.

Assuming Cholesterold levels are acceptable and no other significant changes in health, how long are these results considered current?

Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:44 am

User avatar Hi norby,
Changes may occur with time to the body. If unusual or additional health symptoms presented I would consider a past result invalid.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:44 am

Dear Norby,

Well, i don't know your medical history, but, we do not request another angiogram as long as you do not have a complaint and you haven't had an angioplasty (stents in your coronary arteries).

If u had another anginal attack , went to the hospital ,got high levels of serum tropinin I and cardiac enzymes, new ECG changes compared to your old ones, then another angiogram should be highly considered and compared to your previous one ofcourse.

I hope that helped,

norby - Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:02 am

Thank you. I should have mentioned that the angiogram was perfectly OK and the Dr. performed it mainly to put my mind at ease rather than for real specific symptoms. I was warned it was "overkill" but I opted for it anyway. From a worry point of view it seemed to work for a while but I was curious as to the lengh of the diagnosis. I currently have no other symptoms.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:13 am

Dear Norby,
As long as you are controlling your cholesterool levels , having a healthy lifestyle..., exercising if you can (if it is not a problem for you) , you don't have cardiac symptoms or any significant symptoms and you did a ROUTINE angiogram!!! (I am very surprised)!!! then you shouldn't worry at all!! because worrying is stressful and it can lead to hypertension and developing other health problems.

Enjoy your life :)