News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: 14 Year old with Anxiety

charleyd15 - Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:16 pm

i am a fourteen year old with a history of panic and anxiety. i recently tried to go of my panic medication but began experiencing chest pain numbness in left arm and fiingers. i experience pains in my head, and limbs. i very fastheartbeat and a felling almost has if i am being punched from my inside because my heart is beating so fast. im taking my medicine again and have been on it now for about 2 weeks but still experience trouble breathing chest pains and numbness which i never experienced before trying to go off my medication. it is really scary and i want to no if anyone else experiences these feelings. i am so scared and have had horrible thoughts like thinking i have a brain tomurs or brain cancer heart attacks lung cancer. i get all these horrible thoughts and think im dying. i have been to the doctor and he has said i am fine but i still get scared. i need to no if these are normal symptoms for panic and anxiety disorder. again the doctor said i was fine and the head pains and such are normal and i went to the emergency room and that doctor told me i was fine. my aunt experiences the same symptoms with her anxiety but i still get scared. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! Email me if u would rather at littlesis26@hotmail.com and call the subject post on anxiety. i am so scared!!!
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:50 am

Dear charleyd15,
Anxiety can be accompanied by a variety of physical symptoms. Most commonly, these symptoms are related to the heart, lungs, and nervous system. You may feel as if you are having a heart attack.
Panic disorders, are separate and intense periods of fear or feelings of doom developing over a very short time frame, usually 10 minutes and are associated with at least 4 of the following:
palpitations, sweating, trembling, shortness of breath, sense of choking, chest pain, nausea, dizziness, a feeling of being detached from the world (derealization), fear of dying, numbness or tingling and chills or hot flushes.
You have done well by going to see your doctor, I'm sure if there was the least suspicion of anything serious, he would have tried to pursue the issue further. If he isn't worried, you should not worry.
One last thing, is that you may feel anxiety for a long time, perhaps your entire life. Excellent medications are available to help many of the symptoms, together with counseling with mental health professionals, can be highly successful.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here