Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Unusual Blood Pressure

texasgypsey - Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:07 pm

Is it normal for a person to have a different BP reading from each arm? My husband is 36 yrs old and since 2000 he has had high blood pressure on one arm, and normal pressure on the other. Back in 2000 when he was first diagnosed with it, he was also diagnosed with having cardio myopathy. They told me his heart was enlarged and the Dr had put him on Toporol for the last 4 yrs. Well, my husband went back recently to the same Cardio Dr and he took him off the medecine and now claim he no longer has an enlarged heart. Can this be true? Is this right? Your opinion please.
Mary H
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon May 02, 2005 10:35 pm

User avatar Dear Mary,

Normally, the blood pressure in the left arm can be about 10 points higher than the right arm. If there is a big difference between the two arms, the reading of the higher arm is the one always used.

Yes, some of the cardiomyopthies can be reversible such as alcoholic cardiomyopathy. Taking a beta blocker such as toprol makes the heart functions improve in cases of cardiomyopthies as well. It is not a bad idea to start weaning the toprol and see the effect on the heart function.

|