News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Migraines, hypertension, tachycardia

KAI - Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:57 pm

I am a 24 year old female. When I was 22 I went to the ER because I had a really bad head ache, My vision was distorted, I was very, very weak, and my chest hurt. They took my blood pressure it was 180/105. They diagnosed me with migraines. they did not run any tests on me. When I asked them why my blood pressure was so high they said it was cause I was in pain. so I went home. A few months later I had another episode of the same symptoms, but this time I was short of breath also. they did a ekg and determined that I was having Tachycardia palpatiations. My blood pressure again was very high. htey had me follow up with my family doctor. I did and I was diagnosed with hypertension. I am now taking meds, and for the most part have my blood pressure under control. I still get chest pain though and nobody seems to know why. my cholesterol is fine. All my blood work came back normal. Can you help me understand my condition a little better. most doctors think because i am so young I should not have these problems
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon May 02, 2005 11:16 pm

User avatar Dear Kai,

A high blood pressure can cause headache a blurred vision. It is difficult to say which one caused the other.

High blood pressure can also cause chest discomfort.

Females of child bearing age are naturally protected against coronary disease. You have one risk factor for coronary disease (hypertension) and it is controlled. You did not mention any of the characteristics of the chest pain that you get and without the characteristics of the chest pain, i can not tell the probability of this pain be due to coronary disease. But since you don't have but one major risk factor (and it is controlled), i don't think that this chest pain is due to coronary disease.

i recommend that you have an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) to exclude a condition called mitral valve prolapse which can be the cause of chest pain.

High blood pressure at a young age usually raises the suspicion for secondary causes of hypertension such as hyperactive thyroid gland and the like, please, discuss this with your doctor.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 KAI - Fri May 06, 2005 1:41 pm

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY.
THE CHEST PAIN THAT I HAVE FEELS LIKE ALOT OF PRESSURE IN MY CHEST. LIKE SOMEBODY IS SQUEEZING MY CHEST
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri May 06, 2005 10:05 pm

User avatar Dear Kai,

Thank you very much for the update.

i also need to have an answer about other characteristics of the pain. When does the pain occur? What increases the pain and what makes it better or even go away? Are there any other symptoms that you feel when you have the pain? Does it go anywhere else besides your chest? How severe is the pain?

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 KAI - Sat May 07, 2005 2:41 pm

THE PAIN SOMETIMES MOVES INTO MY LEFT SHOULDER, AND UP MY NECK. WHEN I HAVE THE PAIN NOTHING REALLY MAKES IT WORSE OR BETTER. IT JUST GRADUALLY FADES AWAY. IT CAN LAST FOR ANYWHERE FROM A COUPLE HOURS, TO EVEN A DAY AT A TIME. AND AFTER IT GOES AWAY MY CHEST KIND OF FEELS BRUISED OR SORE. THANK YOU AGAIN
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat May 07, 2005 10:49 pm

User avatar Dear Kai,

Thank you very much for the update.

The characteristics of your pain are atypical.

The probability of this pain be due to coronary disease is very low.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here