Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: MVP, Mitral Regurgitation,EF

momto4 - Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:58 am

Hi, I am a 29 year old female with 4 children. I have recently been diagnosed with MVP with Moderate-Severe Regurgitation. I was told after my echo I would need surgery very soon. I then had a TEE done and my cardiologist says I can wait a little while. However he says its in my near future. (Within 6-12 months) All of this has been very sudden, I have known for about a year that I have not felt quite right. Very tired, chest pains, lots of anxiety, and minimal shortness of breath, I never did go to doctor with any of this, I just contributed it to nearing the end of my 20s and 4 children. My gyno found my heart murmur and said I needed to be checked right away. I am an ex smoker, I do not drink, or use any drugs. I weigh 130 pounds.
Is an EF of 55% low for someone my age?
My cardiologist says I have myxomatous degeneration, is this the same thing as MVP? Or is this what caused the MVP?
How common of a finding is myxomatous degeneration in some one my age?
How will he determine when to do surgery? Thank you in advance
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu May 19, 2005 7:53 pm

User avatar Dear Momto4,

An ejection fraction of 55% is within the normal range in patients with normal hearts. Mitral regurgitation makes the heart beats stronger, so whenever the heart starts to be "weaker" than it is supposed to, this means that the mitral regurgitation started to affect the heart.

Myxometous degeneration is the pathology behind mitral valve prolapse. Degeneration causes the leaflets of the valve to be longer and this causes the prolapse.

Indications for surgery in cases of mitral valve regurgitation are either symptoms or a decrease in the ef% or dilatation of the left ventricle. If you already have an ef% less than 60%, i would encourage you not to wait.

It is better to have mitral valve repair, which is done if the leaflets are repairable and this is determined from the tee. This type of surgery needs surgical expertise. i think it is preferrable in your case because you are young and this type of surgery means that you will not have to receive oral anticoagulation for life.

You don't have to blame yourself over not going to the doctor earlier as the symptoms that you were having, the chest pains, fatigue and anxiety (and could be the shortness of breath) are related to the symptoms of the mitral valve prolapse itself even if you did not have any regurgitation.

|