Question: Simvastatin

Dawnzz - Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:47 am

I've been on simvastatin for a few years now , recently doctor upped dosage to 80mg per day and I'm wondering if it is causing me the pain in upper body and shortness of breath , sometimes im really struggling to get a decent intake of air and round my back (in what i feel is lung area ) and front chest and upper abdomen are really painful.......

Thankyou Dawn
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun May 01, 2005 6:37 am

User avatar Hi Dawnzz,
I would find your respiratory symptoms unlikely to be related to the medication simvastatin. As for the abdominal pain, you have been having periodic lab work done to evaluate liver function haven't you? This particular complaint may be related to the medication. If your physician is unaware of your symptoms I would suggest an evaluation.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon May 02, 2005 5:46 pm

User avatar Dear Dawn,

i tend to agree with Theresa that most probably the respiratory symptoms are not related to simvastatin.

However, simvastatin and the group of medications to which it belongs are notorious for causing muscle inflammation. If this muscle inflammation affects the chest muscles it can lead to your feeling of shortness of breath.

i would strongly recommend that you talk to your doctor about it and be seen and have a blood test to rule out muscle damage.

|