News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Advice on further action to be taken!

anjali_saluja - Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:01 am

My father-in-law has suffered heart attack in 1990. Recently he has taken lipid profile test. Result of which is
Total Cholesterol 247
Triglycerides 171
HDL 55 LDL 143 VLDL 49
After that doctor adviced him to undergo angiography. Result of which is :
Indication - Stable Angina
Dominant Artery - Right Coronary Artery
LVEDP - PreAngio : 12mmHg PostAngio : 12 mm Hg LV Angiography
L.V.E.F. : 50%
No Mitral regurgitation present
Apical wall is : AKINETIC
Coronory angiogram -
Left main : normal
LAD shows 80% Mid stenosis 100% distal stenosis 1st Diagonal shows 90% Proximal stenosis
OM1 shows 80% mid stenosis
RCA shows 30% Mid stenosis

Summary : Double Vessel Disease
Mild LV Dysfunction

What should we do? :? Should he undergo bypass surgery? :? Or medication is enough along with regular excercise and proper diet? Please answer this as it is important for us to decide the course of action we are taking! Doctor has adviced him to take a Thallium test on the basis of which he will decide if he need a bypass surgery.

He is currently taking
tab ecosprin 150 mg daily
tab embeta 50mg twice daily
cap cardace 2.5 mg twice daily
tab amdepin 5mg twice daily
tab angispan 2.5mg twice daily
tab lipicor 10mg once daily
tab sorbitrate 5mg as & when required

Please advice. :?: :(
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:37 pm

User avatar Dear Anjali,

Thank you very much for using our website.

Was your father-in-law complaining of any chest pain or shortness of breath on exertion when he walks before getting the angiogram? Or if he had these symptoms before, are they getting any worse now?

i could recognize most of the medications that you mentionned as most of the names are trade names and since the trade names are different from country to country sometimes it is hard to recognize but the trade names somtimes are very similar or even the same.

So, the medications that your father-in-law is taking now are the ones that he should be taking in his condition.

i think a thallium test at this point is not a bad idea because it will tell us whether or not it will be useful to have bypass surgery. If the thallium study shows that during exercise, there is no blood going to his heart muscle and that during rest the blood runs normally once more, then a bypass would not be a bad choice.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and please keep me posted about the results of the thallium test.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here