Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Chest pains

dubstar - Tue May 03, 2005 9:34 pm

This is kind of odd, but I am a 17 year old male and lately I've been suffering from chest pains. I've talked to my doctor about it, but wanted a second opinion, so I'm trying this out.

The pains I have are usually under my left pectoralis, and are quic, sometimes throbbing. Lately it's extended to general discomfort in my entire chest and feel more like tightness. These have been going on for about two months. The weird thing about these pains, is that they don't appear during physical activity (heavy running etc), it doesn't hurt to breathe, and it doesn't come because of one certain thing; it seems kind of random.

I don't think that it is cardiovascular or lung related, but Im not sure. It could be heartburn, but would that cause a feeling of tightness and pain so far away from the esophagus, and long after (or before) I've eaten? Like I said, I did see my doctor about this and he wasn't sure what it could be. I got blood work done and two chest x-rays, though the results havent gotten back from the lab (just got that done four days ago). I've also read that chest pains can come along with panic attacks, and I have gotten uneasy anxious feelings, but always the chest pain comes first and then I start to worry about it. So what causes these pains?[/i]
 dubstar - Sun May 08, 2005 1:19 pm

I figure I should update since I got my results back.

Both chest X-rays (front and side) came up negative, nothing wrong there.

The bloodwork came back and said that my cholesterol was too high. I already knew this from bloodwork last year, and I know that I'm genetically predisposed to my liver making too much lipoprotein a. My dad has the same thing, and my grandfather had a quadruple bypass 18 years ago. So anyways, my lipoprotein a levels are really high, 111 mg/dL, and the "healthy" level is under 30 mg/dL. I don't know what my other levels are, but my doctor wrote that all my other LDL levels were to goal, and that there weren't any studies that would help reduce my lp(a) levels. I know that my dad taks Niaspan to lower his levels, and I did take it for a couple months two years ago (when I had the same doctor as my father), but quit taking it after my mom protested and I switched doctors.

So I guess now I have three questions:

1. Still wondering on the chest pains. I'm almost certain that they're muscular, but I'm not a doctor.

2. Was wondering how much lp(a) makes up of your LDL (like how many more LDL types are there that make up the whole, I want to know how bad just having my lp(a) this high is)

3. Is Niaspan healthy for people under 21 (I'm 18 in a month)? I've read that it hasn't been tested in my age range. Also, I've heard it isn't good for people with weakened livers. Would it be very bad to drink (alcohol) while taking it? I know that I'm underaged, but since I'm going into college the pressure will be there to drink, and I want to know for sure so I don't end up saying "Eh, It probably doesn't matter". If I can't/shouldn't take Niaspan are there any alternatives?

|