Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Chest pain every morning when I wake up, 21 years old

coreyt1111 - Wed May 04, 2005 3:48 pm

For as long as I can remember I have chest pain just about every morning I wake up ( ever since I was under 10 I believe). The pain is dull feeling pain in my left side of chest and kinda goes back to my back, if I take a deep breath it hurts more. Its almost like a hollow feeling in my chest, its hard to describe. I just thought maybe it was my Mitral Valve Prolapse because it can cause chest pain. Anyways the Pain will go away after I get up within a few mintues always. I have noticed if I sleep on a hard floor it hurts more the next morning as if I sleep on a soft bed, but none the less im pretty sure its not my bones or muscles. I do not know what to think of this, I read up about Agnina and I heard the worst kind is to have when you wake up every morning and your chest hurts and is a sign of a heart attack coming soon. But this has been going on my whole life and hasnt changed in intensity or anything really. Im 6'5, 230 pounds ( muscle mainly). I workout, exercise and all.... but when I go to the doctors office I have high blood pressure. The thing is I get extremly nervous at docs office, m heartbeat goes up to like 120, when at home it runs as low as the 40s and usually is 70s-80s. The doctor said I have white coat syndrome, I get so nervous I start sweating, my face turns red, my eyes go bloodshot and I cant even breath good sometimes im so nervous,lol. Anyways im fine once I leave the docs office,lol. But does anyone know what this chest pain could be, im scared it could be im about to have heart attack, but at such a young age? Also if I have had this my whole life could it really be the worst type of Angina?
Thanks.
 coreyt1111 - Wed May 04, 2005 4:38 pm

Heres a little info I left out,lol. I have a bone on my left side of chest ( near center) that sticks out slightly, you cannot see it any more because I have put on a little weight in the chest area, but when I was younger and skinner you could see it. I read up about it and found it could easily be cause by Mitral Valve Prolapse, but cound this have anything to do with my pains? As the way I sleep on my chest with the bone sticking out could be causing a pain because it is sore from me sleeping on it all night? Im just real concerned about this as of now, when I was younger I noticed the pain but never told anyone really,lol. Sometimes the pain will make me wake up, it seems to get worse the longer I lay there in the morning hours like if I sleep in late. I just hope one of my arteries are not clogged and not recieving enough oxygen, I do eat alot of food but thats because I exercise alot. When I exercise I never really get any chest pains or anything, could this just be related to MVP? Anyways thanks for your time, sorry to post so much,lol. See ya
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri May 06, 2005 9:21 pm

User avatar I'm not an MD, but clinical medical assistant and worked in Internal Medicine/Cardiology for 11 years.

It is definitely not angina! Angina comes on when there is a lack of oxygen to the heart muscle (ischemia) and is during periods of peak excercise, or even a little activity for someone with severe coronary artery disease and is characterized by heaviness on the chest and marked shortness of breath. Angina can also be from spasms of the arteries of the heart, sometimes during cold weather. I don't believe either of these apply to you. If it was angina, you wouldn't be able to affect the pain by breathing deeply. Do you lift weights? This is one of the most common causes of musculoskeletal chest pain in young men who exercise.

As far as MVP, usually the most common symptom is frequent palpitations. It is much more common in women.

Try taking 400-800 mg of ibuprofen (with doctor's permission, of course) for a week and see if it doesn't either get much better or resolve completely. But, you must take any antinflammatory daily, it has to accumulate to work properly, and won't work right away in most cases.
 coreyt1111 - Sat May 07, 2005 9:37 am

Hey, yeah I lift weights every other day. Yea it does hurt when I take a deep breath, thanks so much for the info. I will try to take what you said and see if that helps. Also I had a test done on my back a while back and it was supposedly really messed up in alot of areas ( probably from doing power cling without a belt,lol). But I read somewhere that a bad back or neck could cause chest pain. Thank you again for this help, I will get to the bottom of it sooner or later,lol.

|