Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Post-Cardiac Arrest

romio - Fri May 06, 2005 7:21 pm

A friend of a friend of mine claims to have recently been involved in an accident in which she was riding a crotch rocket and was then hit by a car, knocking her into a tree. She was then rushed to hospital and was said to be in bad shape... later, in an update we received, she had gone into Cardiac Arrest.

Moments later, she was said to be fine and today she's already supposedly up and about and is going to be coming home tomorrow. The accident took place yesterday. This is not a person I see regularily, nor does my friend, but we feel like we may be being lied to.

Can a person phycailly be fit to go home after being launched off a crotch rocket, into a tree, then go into Cardiac Arrest ... all within two days? Is this possible?

I figured there'd be a process involved after something like cardiac arrest... tests, monitoring their condition, etc.

Any answers would be much appreciated.

thanks.
 emskyle - Sat May 07, 2005 2:05 pm

Cardiac arrest that occurs secondary to trauma has a very low resuscitation rate; somewhere in the neighbor hood of less than 5% chance of survival but depending on the injures, the patients pre-existing health, time to surgery, etc it is possible to survive.

Just to clarify a ‘cardiac arrest’ is when you have no vital signs (pulse, blood pressure, etc) - your heart is not moving any blood, your lungs are not moving any air, etc.

Is it possible to be well enough to be discharged home two days a traumatic arrest? No. “Moments” after a cardiac arrest of any cause no one is ever fine – they just died!

There is either an intentional (although I fail to see why she would lie) or unintentional breakdown in communication somewhere. Perhaps someone mistook a loss of consciousness for a cardiac arrest? (Even then I would suspect she would be kept for more than two days). A lot of people think if you have chest pain it is a heart attack when in reality it may have been only a pulled muscle – people make assumptions, jump to conclusions, stretch the truth, etc all the time.

After an accident like that CT scans (CAT scans), MRI’s, X-rays, surgery, lots of physio, and so on are the norm.

Hope this helps

|