News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Congenital MR

feedle - Tue May 10, 2005 2:40 pm

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on this.

I'm 25 years old and have a congenital MR, not a true prolapse. I found out about it when I was 15 after being unwell, but my family always knew about it.

I started having echos every 5 years from then and it was classed as mild to moderate and my activities were not restricted. But I recently had my latest echo and it showed there was dilation in both the LV and LA. No one has given me a straight answer about what I can expect in the future, what restrictions if any, I would like to exercise and lose a little weight but I am uncertain of my limits as I have often pushed myself beyond what I should as if to prove to myself I could do it.The results from the echo were as follows:

2D:
LVOT Diam 2.24cm
Ao Arch Diam 2.28cm
LA area 26 cm sq
RA area 18.20 cm sq
MR fllow 330.97 ml/s
EF biplane 66.63%

M-Mode:
IVSd 0.51cm
LVIDd 6.19cm
LVPWd 0.58cm
IVSs 1.09cm
LVIDs 4.12cm
EF (Teich) 61.01%
%FS 33.33%
Ao Diam 3.04cm
LA Diam 4.12cm
LA/Ao 1.36

Doppler:
MV E vel 0.73m/s
MV DecT 444.96ms
MV E/A Ratio 1.22
MV Vmax 0.74m/s
MV maxPG 2.20mmHg
MV meanPG 0.42mmHg
MV VTi 28.12cm
MV A Dur 162.66ms
MV E/Em 9.74
AV Vmax 1.44m/s
AV maxPG 8.31mmHg
AV meanPG 4.29mmHg
AVA Vmax 3.05cm sq
AVA (VTI) 2.55cm sq
TR maxPG 31.55mmHg
MRVTI 193.78 cm
MR ERO 0.63 cm sq
MR RV 122.60ml

I would very much appreciate any advice

Regards
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu May 19, 2005 4:29 pm

User avatar Dear Feedle,

You have very mild dilatation of the the left atrium and left ventricle. Your heart has a normal systolic function (contracts with normal force) and i don't think that there should be any restrictions for now.

i think that you ought to have your echos more frequently and i think it is not a bad idea to talk to your doctor about indications for surgery (mitral valve replacement) and whether he/she expects regarding the progress of the regurgitation.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here