Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Septal Infarct

BruceWW - Wed May 11, 2005 5:44 pm

Hello, I am a 26 year old male and I just recently had a physical when I applied for a new job, I failed the physical because I was told that my EKG was abnormal. I was then told that I had a septal infarct and that my atrium was enlarged. I do not smoke or do drugs, I am 6' 4" and weight 230 lbs. I have always been very athletic and very physically fit. I have not had any symptoms of heart conditions, no pains or palpatations of any kind.

I am very confused as to what all of this means and was wondering if someone could give me a better understanding on what this could possible cause and the causes of this condition and what I need to do.

I don't have insurance right now and do not have a physician so any advice I can get would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri May 13, 2005 6:08 am

User avatar Dear Bruce,

ekgs are notoriously non sensitive for diagnosis of coronary disease and heart chamber enlargement.

The mere misplacement of an ekg lead on your chest will lead to this septal infarct picture.

There is no need to worry about any of this, since you have been athletic all your life and you don't have any symptoms such as chest pain or shortness of breath.

Once you get a job and consequently insurance, i would suggest that you have ultrasound of the heart (echocardiogram) done if your doctor thinks that you need to have one done.

|