Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Diabetes -sugar levels up high and down low????

jnyvn77 - Fri May 13, 2005 10:30 am

Hi I was diagnosed with diabetes about 5 months ago when I started loosing my vision,having extreme thirst and hunger ect... of course they thought that i had been diabetic for some time before I was diagnosed. When they checked my sugar at the ER it was over 500!
Well at first i was on Glucophage (850 mg) 3 times a day
and Novalin R on a sliding scale when needed before meals and 10 units of lantus every day to try to control this.
Within two months I had it under control with diet alone I quit taking any of the above and kept a sugar level of around 120-130. Good right?
Well I was not working then.
I got a new job about three weeks ago very physcal and since I am over wieght I thought it would do me good.
I walk about 10 miles a day in this factory, at first my legs and feet hurt and I knew that anybodys would , I got past that. Now I am getting Dizzy spells pretty often and my sugar went down to 75 . So i then went and started using regular sugar again I thought with my activity it would even out now I just cant get a steady level. My levels are going crazy from 70 on up to 300 again. My questions are: What is too low of a sugar level? And is it dangerous for my levels to go up and down like that with in a few hours? Is there something else I can do?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:51 am

User avatar Yes it is dangerous. Firstly, do NOT use sugar as a way of regulating blood sugar!!!!! Sugar causes HUGE spikes in blood sugar and repeats the process. Keep orange juice in a can handy for the drops, and have a bit of cheese, nuts or some kind of protein with it, because even juice is sugar, but natural sugar which is good for you, but in diabetics can cause another drop if you don't get some protein and eat your snacks every 3-4 hours. It is also important to test your sugar 4 times throughout the day, at least until you get it under control, then you can go to 2-3 times.

Stress and prolonged physical activity ( I am not saying sit around more!!) lower blood sugar. Get back on the Glucophage and make it a point, no, a strict routine of eating some protein and a SMALL carb, like half a slice of whole wheat bread with a good amount of peanut butter (all natural, no sugar added). Or 3/4 cup of cottage cheese and 5-6 Triscuit crackers they are also whole wheat and good for you. Learn what foods are protein like any meat, fish, poultry, etc., nuts and dairy. "Good" carbs are WHOLE wheat bread (not just wheat), oatmeal is the best and whole grain cereals. It is very important that you learn how to control it, even with outside stressors.

|