Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Left side pain and more after eating

Reddog - Sun May 15, 2005 2:41 am

For the past 3 months I have frequently been getting a dull ache in the left side of my chest, left underarm, inside of my left elbow and occasionally in my left thumb after eating. PVC's happen most of the time when I have this aching and well as shortness of breath every once in while. When this is happening, the aching in my left arm is made worse for a few seconds by taking a deep breath. This occurs within an hour or 2 of eating and can last anywhere from a couple hours to all day. I don't have any burning in my throat from heartburn and had normal EKG 6 months ago. I went to the doctor 3 weeks ago with the above symptoms plus central chest tightness and more frequent shortness of breath. I had a chest x-ray which was normal and was put on Inflammide for asthma. Since I started using the inhaler my central chest tightness is pretty much gone so it looks like I'm dealing with 2 seperate issues. Can anyone give me some ideas before I return to the doctor. I am a 28 year old male and don't smoke. I also excercise frequently and eat healthy. Thanks in advance.
 Edward - Sun May 15, 2005 8:44 pm

I'm a 30 year old male i'm about 30 lbs overweight, my blood pressure is slightly high and my cholesterol is slightly high as well. I don't smoke, and I cut my drinking down to a minimum, and for the most part I eat pretty well. Anyway, for the past few months I've been experiencing minor chest pain. It started mostly in the middle, then lately it's been moving to my back, down my left arm, around my chest and upper stomach, and even down my left leg. The pain has gotten worse over the past week. I have been to the ER twice in three months (just went today) because it keeps getting worse and the more I read about my symptoms, the more I think something is really wrong. Both times I went they did an EKG, X rays, and blood tests. Each time they said everything was normal and that it was acid reflux. I'm wondering how can acid reflux cause me pain in my arms and legs? I also have been having headaches and my ears ring from time to time each day, and usually every day i get dizzy for about 2 minutes for no reason. I just find it hard to believe that something in my stomach could be causing this?
 zapatista - Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:14 pm

i'm a 38 year old male, non-smoker (I quit 3 years ago) and I have had PVC's for the last 10 years. they drive me crazy.
don't obsess on them too much, I have and it doesn't help.
I have had the pain in the side, in the arm, and gone to many doctors.
they all said everything was normal.
your dizziness may be in your head.
reading about your symptoms can be worse than not. I have been all through this and still have a hard time dealing with it.

i think many times it has to do with how much and what you eat.
also how much sleep you get and how excitable you are.

hope this helps. in the mean time if you have any positive results with something other than medication let's hear it!
 crimchick - Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:20 pm

I am a 21 year old female, 5'9" and 150 lbs. I work in a job that requires that I am active all day and I have a relatively healthy diet, although I'll admit that I indulge every once in a while. I have no history of heart disease or heart related problems in my family.

For the past month or so I have had a recurring dull pain on the left side of my chest, right under my nipple and slightly to the left. On occasion the pain gets really bad and turns into a sharp, stabbing pain that can last anywhere from 1 minute to all day long. In the beginning the pain would go away, but the more recent episodes have been lasting hours at least. The episode that I am currently experiencing started this morning when I layed down after a 1 hour bike ride. The paid increases when I take deep breaths, bend at the waist, lie down, and immedietely after I eat. I thought that it might be heart burn, however I have taken Tums and Rolaids and nothing is working. Also, I don't have a burning sensation in my throat. The pain is generally secluded in my chest, althouh I have had back pain since I started university 2 years ago.

Is this something that I should see a doctor about???
 crimchick - Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:59 pm

For the past month or so I have had a recurring dull pain on the left side of my chest, right under my nipple and slightly to the left. On occasion the pain gets really bad and turns into a sharp, stabbing pain that can last anywhere from 1 minute to all day long. In the beginning the pain would go away, but the more recent episodes have been lasting hours at least. The episode that I am currently experiencing started this morning when I layed down after a 1 hour bike ride. The pain increases when I take deep breaths, bend at the waist, lie down, and immedietely after I eat. I thought that it might be heart burn, however I have taken Tums and Rolaids and nothing is working. Also, I don't have a burning sensation in my throat. The pain is generally secluded in my chest, althouh I have had back pain since I started university 2 years ago.

zapatista - Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:50 am

CrimChick,

Sounds like it may be costochondritis, I may be spelling that wrong, or some variation thereof.
Read about this online and see if that fits your experience in the least.
I have experienced something similar, but not for a full day.
But the breathing in and moving that cause pain sound like that, or something muscular.
Seeing a doctor may make you feel better, at least to give you peace of mind.
 heyzeus123 - Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:28 am

In the past 4 months, I have been having chest tightness/pain (mostly on the left-side, sometimes in the middle of the chest) after meals. In addition, I sometimes had kidney pain and dizziness that last a few seconds. Rarely, but a few time tingling or numbing of the hand or feet. Forcing a cough seems to give me a few seconds of relief.

I have been to my primary doctor, a heart specilist, and all tests came out normal. I went to the emergency room, and the X-ray show nothing, and the diagnosis was some kind of acid reflux. Idon't think so. No help what-so-ever.

Most recently (in the past 4 weeks), I have have been having the chest tightness/pain all day even BEFORE eating, and an additional symptom, mild headaches. The chest pain does not seem to increase with exercise. I do not smoke, I do not drink, and I am 45 years old male.

I am afraid that something is really wrong, and would like to find a diagnosis this whatever this is, ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

|