Question: Should I go to the ER or can it wait until morning....

Dawn0816 - Mon May 16, 2005 12:08 am

I am a female, 39 years old, 5ft tall and 105 pounds and other than being a somewhat heavy smoker, am in general good health. I have every intention to quit asap. ( this might be the nudge I need)

I woke this morning ( Sunday 5/15) around 7 am with a mild headache and my left arm hurting. My arm has been hurting off and on for a few weeks. I thought I had pulled a muscle or something and have been extra careful not to overuse it. Eventually the pain would subside but it seems to keep returning. And with great surprise, sometimes even my right arm is beginning to hurt a little. Not much but occassionally. Makes no sense. I am left handed. I took 3 aspirin and went to my boyfriends home. (He lives next door) Around 10 am, while watching television I began to sweat and did so intensely. I got up to go to the bathroom to get a cool rag when I began to feel intense pressure on my chest. I've never had indigestion or heartburn that I can recall so I wasn't sure if that could have been it. As I was getting a cool rag to put on my next, I got sick. After vomitting, I told my boyfriend I wasn't feeling well and I went and laid down. The chest pain wasn't a sharp, stabbing pain but an intense pressure that as time went on, felt like it went from my jaw to my middle back. he came in and asked if I wanted to go to the ER. I stated no, I just wanted to rest for I was feeling extremely tired. After an hour or so, I fell asleep. He checked on me several times and I think I may have scared him for I woke once to find him taking my pulse. ( My normal blood pressure runs around 90/65 but with a pulse rate of 100-105. ) At 3pm , I was still alseeping when he woke me and asked if I could eat. I said yes and ate a light lunch then still feeling extremely tired and although the pain wasn't as bad, was and am as of writing this, still have some pressure in my chest and my arm is still hurting.

I didn't wake up until 11 this evening. I normally do not require much sleep. I am somewhat hyper in nature so to sleep like I did and to still, after sleeping like I did today, feel quite fatigued accompanied by the incident today has me a little concerned. Could it have been a reaction to the aspirin with having just coffee this morning? I am considering going to the ER in the morning for my mother called while I was sleeping and though she is in another state, is extremely worried. Any idea what went on? Thank you for any input.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon May 16, 2005 3:55 am

User avatar Hi Dawn0816,
I would certainly hope that you made a trip to the ER. These symptoms are suggestive of possible cardiac problems (? MI - heart attack) and in my opinion would not be related to the caffiene nor aspirin. Labwork and an EKG should be done for evaluative studies. Please post on you condition when you are able if you don't mind.

|