News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Heart Failure

Question: Pitting Edema

radiobill - Mon May 16, 2005 1:24 pm

Most of what I read about pitting edema seems to focus on the feet and ankles. What about pitting edema only on the shins? By the end of the day, the tissue over my shins is like that "memory foam" you see advertised on those "space age" mattresses. Then in the morning, the skin over my shins feels slightly "tacky".

I'll be seeing my MD in three days. I have other reasons to suspect possible CHF, but just wondering if pitting edema limited to the shins was significant.

Thank you!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue May 17, 2005 8:49 am

User avatar Hi radiobill,
One of the symptoms of congestive heart failure is lower extremety edema. Have you been experiencing any other symptoms, rapid weight gain, shortness of breath etc.? It would be quite wise of you to keep your appointment for an evaluation.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 radiobill - Tue May 17, 2005 11:40 am

I've always been something of a wide load, but I do feel generally more "puffy" than usual. SOB only on exertion, a walk up the stairs will have me puffing. No chest pain, though. And like I said, the pitting edema is only on the shins, not the calves or so much on the ankles. When I get up in the morning, no edema, but my shins feel sort of "tacky." But the swelling reappears within a couple hours of being up and around. Right now, sitting here, my lower legs and feet feel tight and chilly.

Will definitely keep the appointment. Thanks again.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here