Forum Name: Heart Failure

Question: Pitting Edema

radiobill - Mon May 16, 2005 1:24 pm

Most of what I read about pitting edema seems to focus on the feet and ankles. What about pitting edema only on the shins? By the end of the day, the tissue over my shins is like that "memory foam" you see advertised on those "space age" mattresses. Then in the morning, the skin over my shins feels slightly "tacky".

I'll be seeing my MD in three days. I have other reasons to suspect possible CHF, but just wondering if pitting edema limited to the shins was significant.

Thank you!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue May 17, 2005 8:49 am

User avatar Hi radiobill,
One of the symptoms of congestive heart failure is lower extremety edema. Have you been experiencing any other symptoms, rapid weight gain, shortness of breath etc.? It would be quite wise of you to keep your appointment for an evaluation.
 radiobill - Tue May 17, 2005 11:40 am

I've always been something of a wide load, but I do feel generally more "puffy" than usual. SOB only on exertion, a walk up the stairs will have me puffing. No chest pain, though. And like I said, the pitting edema is only on the shins, not the calves or so much on the ankles. When I get up in the morning, no edema, but my shins feel sort of "tacky." But the swelling reappears within a couple hours of being up and around. Right now, sitting here, my lower legs and feet feel tight and chilly.

Will definitely keep the appointment. Thanks again.

|