Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Blood pressure cuff to small for me?

coreyt1111 - Mon May 16, 2005 1:43 pm

Ok, I measured my blood pressure at the grocery store today and it was squezing me so hard,lol. When I took my arm out it left likealmost bruise streak marks down my arm, none the less it always leaves marks on me. Anyways my blood pressure was 181/100 and my pulse was 75.
Im 21 years old, 6'5 and weigh between 230-240 and I lift weights, my arm is pretty big, I measured it and its about 14 inces around ( the blood pressure machine says this cuff is designed for arms 9 to 13 inches). So I was wondering if this could give me higher readings then normal if the cuff is too small. I went home after that and my blood pressure was 139/90 on my home cuff ( but it says designed for arms up to 13 inches only also). I wanted to know if these small cuffs could be making my readings higher, anyone know? Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue May 17, 2005 8:32 am

User avatar Hi coreyt1111,
A blood pressure cuff that is to small for a persons arm will give an inaccurate/higher than normal reading.
 coreyt1111 - Tue May 17, 2005 3:56 pm

Thanks, thats what the pharmicist told me also after he saw the marks it left on my arm.

|