News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Blood pressure cuff to small for me?

coreyt1111 - Mon May 16, 2005 1:43 pm

Ok, I measured my blood pressure at the grocery store today and it was squezing me so hard,lol. When I took my arm out it left likealmost bruise streak marks down my arm, none the less it always leaves marks on me. Anyways my blood pressure was 181/100 and my pulse was 75.
Im 21 years old, 6'5 and weigh between 230-240 and I lift weights, my arm is pretty big, I measured it and its about 14 inces around ( the blood pressure machine says this cuff is designed for arms 9 to 13 inches). So I was wondering if this could give me higher readings then normal if the cuff is too small. I went home after that and my blood pressure was 139/90 on my home cuff ( but it says designed for arms up to 13 inches only also). I wanted to know if these small cuffs could be making my readings higher, anyone know? Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue May 17, 2005 8:32 am

User avatar Hi coreyt1111,
A blood pressure cuff that is to small for a persons arm will give an inaccurate/higher than normal reading.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 coreyt1111 - Tue May 17, 2005 3:56 pm

Thanks, thats what the pharmicist told me also after he saw the marks it left on my arm.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here