Question: 26 yr old. - Syncope/Dizziness

kdubdub - Fri May 27, 2005 4:04 am

About six months ago I had two episodes of Syncope. I didn't completely pass out but I had to catch myself from going down. The first case was at work and I was standing, listening to a presentation. I thought it was just that I had my legs locked and I quickly left when I felt the fainting spell coming on. The second time was when I was standing up at a wedding in the food line. I started to go down but caught myself on a chair. I had a friend help me out and I went to the emergency room.

I have had an EKG, Echocardiogram, MRI of my head, Tilt table test (for the dizziness I now have when standing stationary for a long time), halter monitor, chest x-ray, and even went to a opthamologist (my primary care doctor made a suggestion). Everything was fine except my PCP said that one of my chambers was slightly dialated...but the cardiologist said it was a little but nothing special.

I am 26 (5'10 215) and I could lose some weight but I do workout and used to play football (my bp is good 110s/80s). I have started running and more cardio which makes me feel better afterwards. The only thing I can think of is that I helped remove insulation in a water damaged part of my church 1 week before this all started. But, now I have problems standing for a long period...I start to feel the blood pooling in my legs and get dizzy. I also have the pressure on my chest sometimes and a little throbing in my left arm (rarely). My anxiety levels are getting pretty high about this and that probly doesn't make it better. Help?! Every doctor has said they don't understand what is wrong. Could it be a lung problem and not heart?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:51 am

User avatar I know you are worried - it obviously is not a heart problem - the tests confirm that.

Why not ask your doctor to give you something for your anxiety, which CAN cause many of the symptoms you describe and see if that doesn't help.?

You may think this sounds ridiculous, but what are your eating habits? Do you go more than 4-5 hours without eating? Eat sugar or carbs only without protein to balance? You could be having some low blood sugar, and that can cause the near syncope. Try eating more protein and "good " carbs - whole grain foods, and make sure to have a snack every 3- 4 hours, but don't go any longer than that.

|