Question: Chest pain/pulse

jebakerii - Sat May 28, 2005 11:43 pm

Thank you in advance for your reply... I am very concerned about this and have an appointment to see my Doctor of Internal Medicine in about 2 weeks (soonest I could get in).

The last few days, I have had tightness/pain in my left chest, neck, shoulder and sometimes my arm & what I can only describe as pulpatations in my chest (I can visually see my heart beat below my rib cage). My resting heartrate has normally been 60-65 during the day is now in the mid 70s. I have also experienced pains in my sides & heartburn... though this could be related to the stress I feel about the chest pain.

I am 32 years old and have recently got in pretty decent shape... running & working out 5 days a week. I just had a fitness assessment at my gym... my stress test went very well.... bp wa 117/72 and they said I was in good health. Now... though my HR seems normal when I workout (between 150-165) I am hesitant to continue running.

Finally... I do have a colon ulcer that bleeds. But I take vitamins & ferrus sulfate. I had a blood test just a month ago that said my hemoglobin count was normal. So, I don't THINK anemia is related.

I can't imagine what could be happening, but it is definitely scaring me.

James
 Dr. L. Chu Go - Mon May 30, 2005 9:06 am

Hello James,
It is good to know that you are concerned with your health :) i agree with you that you should see your doctor, that way, whatever other concerns you have at the back of your mind will be addressed with utmost care.

With regards to your chest pain, did this occur after you usually do strenous activities or not? does the pain subside whenever you take a rest or not? is the pain also associated with food intake or not? From what you have mentioned in your message, you are basically fit and had no previous illness except for a colon ulcer. May i ask if you already had your lipid profile checked (to see if your cholesterol levels are with in normal range or not) and also an electrocardiograph to know whether your heart is in good shape too. With these questions, your doctor will be able to distinguish whether the symptom you feel is of cardiac origin or not. And from there, proper management will be given. :)

M.D.
 jebakerii - Mon May 30, 2005 10:38 pm

Thanks for your reply....

I will try to answer your questions the best I can.....

The pain I am feeling is in my left-upper chest & shoulder the most... sometimes lower back or arm (also left side). I haven't really determined anything specific that causes it... it mostly seems random to me.

Actually, the last week I have gone running and while I run I don't feel the pain at all... it usually doesn't return until at least 15 minutes after my run or cross training. But my last week of running has been really bad... I haven't been able to run the distances I normally had been running. My 4.5 mile run only lasted 3 miles... my 6 mile run ended at 5 (and I also had to walk 3 times which isn't normal).

With regard to food intake... again, I haven't noticed a consistant connection. I have had some stomach discomfort in general lately... I don't have "gas" but I feel the urge to burp alot. When I was running on Sunday, I felt some pain in my stomach region that also caused me to take a walking break... though it may have just been a "stitch".

I have not had my lipids/cholestorol checked.... at 32 I've never been very concerned. But, I have scheduled blood tests along with my physical (stuff I need to fast for 12 hours for) so I am assuming those will be included in my workup. But with my resting heartrate & blood pressure in good shape, wouldn't it be unusualy to have high cholosterol?

I had an EKG back in 2001 when I had anemia from my ulcer. It was normal then... haven't had one since. If the doctors suggests it, I definitely will.

My biggest concern is how I felt relatively good & even happen to have a fitness assessment with great numbers.... and suddenly am having all these symtoms. I'm going to continue to try & run this week and see if the fatigue factor continues.

Thanks again!

James
 Dr. L. Chu Go - Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:21 pm

Hello James,
How are you doing now? Were the lab exams you schedules carried out? I hope your doctor has already assured you of your symptoms.
 jebakerii - Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:49 pm

Hello...

I am feeling better now than when I first posted. I still feel like SOMETHING isn't quite right with me. But I'm not sure what it may be.

I just ran a 10K race yesterday and felt pretty good. So.. that is a good thing. But, I really need to figure out has me feeling "weird". My physical is scheduled for Friday morning so maybe that will shed some light on things.

James

|