News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Neck and Head pain

jimbo - Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:56 pm

For the last 3+ days, I have had pain in my head and neck. Specifically, in the soft tissue to the left of my Adams-apple fairly deep in my neck. The pain in my head is on the left side in the middle of my head toward the top. While the severity comes and goes, the locations have remained consistent.

I called my doctor and he told me to take Alieve. This does little to help. I have also tried Excedrin.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:11 am

User avatar Your symptoms indicate a migraine - they are typically on one side of the head and often last for days. Is the pain severe? Do you have any of the following:

Sensitivity to light
Sensitivity to sound
Nausea or vomiting
Worse pain when changing positions or rising from lying down or sitting
Seeing any "lights" for a second
Blurred vision

These are typical symptoms of migraine, and if severe enough can be incapacitating. If you take two Excedrin as soon as you feel the pain starting or seeing a little flash of light, it will many times stop the migraine from happening, or at least greatly reduce the symptoms.

If you have a history of high blood pressure, tho and feel any numbness anywhere get to the nearest hospital.

I hope you feel better; I know how they feel!
 jimbo - Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:07 am

Ilovepatients:

Thank you for your reply. I do have the following symptoms:
Sensitivity to sound
Sensitivity to light
Worse pain when changing positions or rising from lying down or sitting

The head pain on the left side of my head has decreased over the last day, but is still not gone. At times, it can still be very sharp, but then fades.

The pain on the left side of my neck/adams apple has greatly subsided. At times though I will still have a sharp pain though.

This is the strangest thing for me. I have never experienced such a nagging issue.

Buy stock in Bristol-Myers Squibb (makers of Excedrin)!

Jim
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:13 am

User avatar LOL! Thanks for the stock tip!

Oh, I forgot to tell you why Excedrin (you can find generic - MUCH cheaper!) works so well - it contains aspirin, tylenol and caffeine. Caffeine is effective in eliminating or reducing migrains, and when combined with aspirin, it works much better. :wink:

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here