News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Need advise - palpitations and back tightness .... scared!

rileysales - Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:56 pm

i am a 31 year old female in basically good health. i take 20 mg of lipitor for mildly high cholesterol( 275) and labetalol 200 mg for high pulse rate- i also take 20 mg of celexa for anxiety. i went to the er last year for a pulse rate of 145 and was then put on labetalol - i had ekg (multiple times) echocardiagram, c reativve protein test and everything has come back fine. the doctor in the er as well as the familly dr all say it is completely stress related. i still have what feels like palpitations -hard heartbeats with chest pains -my mid back does not hurt but feels very tight... almost like i am iin knots ... this has been going on for awhile but my dr says everything looks good ... could this still be a heart issue or truly a anxiety issue?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:49 pm

User avatar Palpitations are an extremely common symptom of anxiety; PVCs happen to everyone at some point in thier lives, some people have them chronically. Upper back, shoulder and neck muscles are the tension points of stress, so they will often be sore. Have you talked to your doctor about changing/adding medication for your anxiety? Maybe there is something else to add/change to help you.

Here are ways to reduce anxiety and/or even eliminate palpitations:

Absolutely no alcohol, caffeine or tobacco use. All these substances trigger PVCs, and actually make anxiety worse. Excercise regulary, eat well, avoid sugar, and make sure you get at least 8 hours of sleep every night and have a fairly strict schedule. If you do that, you will find it much easier to sleep and may sleep better. Try meditation, or at the very least have 30 minutes a day all to yourself to unwind. In other words, take care of yourself first!
 rileysales - Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:57 pm

thanks so much for the advice - you are exactly right - i am extremely high anxiety and stress - i have alot on my plate with older parents and younger kids! thanks so much for your help!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here