News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Pain in left arm and shoulder on taking blood pressure

joyneau - Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:48 pm

For about two years I have had pain in my left arm and shoulder upon movement.
But never upon taking a simple BP test.
Yesterday, the clinic took my BP with a cuff that was too small. Afterwards, the anterior part of the shoulder right in the joint, but definetly at skin deep level,... HURT quite badly...almost a burn, like nerve pain. Lasted all of 2-4 minutes.
My left arm and shoulder, however, has not stopped hurting since.
[My BP by the way runs 107/75 normally when the proper cuff is used. When using too small, it reads 129/90~]
Can you tell me if this pain is in any way related to the artery that runs thru there in the shoulder?
Should I be concerned?
I have no money to get it checked right now. And with the sharp pain after deflating the cuff, it was kind of scarey. It hurts more upon movement in the joint. And the sister who is a nurse, has me worried!

Thank you so much!
Joyce
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:46 pm

User avatar I don't believe the blood pressure cuff did any damage; it couldn't have been tight enough to cause any permanent nerve damage and it didn't harm the artery.

If you had nerve damage, you would experience numbness and tingling. Have you tried taking some advil twice per day for a week or so? (As long as no peptic ulcer disease is present). It sounds musculoskeletal in nature; antinflammatories and rest should help.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here