News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: SVT Treatments: What is best

pschutter - Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:22 am

Hello,
My name is Patrick. I'm a 37 yr old male roughly 150 pounds..I've been diagnosed with
SVT about 4 years ago, even though I've had this condition for most of my life. My episodes could happen maybe once every 2 to 3 yrs and last 5min up to 1 hour. It seems as though when it does occur it's always when I'm bending over to pick something up or getting up from kneeling down. Last night was working on a Bathroom floor on my hands and knees smoothing concrete for about 30 min when I stood up I went into SVT. I tried to convert it but the only way I knew how to was to bare down and hold breath. Can you tell me if there's any other ways to convert that have been successful in other people. I would greatly appreciate any advice...

P.S. I do not want to go through the Catheter Ablation

Thanks

Patrick :roll:
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:11 am

User avatar Hi, Patrick

Luckily your episodes are short in duration and are rare. Many people have them frequently and they don't convert without medical intervention. Has the Valsalva maneuver ever worked for you? Coughing?

There isn't any other way of converting it yourself without help. Do you avoid the possible triggers like cofffe, tea, alcohol, anything with a stimulant?
 pschutter - Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:23 am

Shannon,

Thanks for the quick reply...Doctors have told me everything from alcohol to nasal spray and I just cannot take beer out of the picture..lol..lol..For the most part I do not drink pop, coffee or tea and try my hardest to stay away from caffine...Coughing does not work for me I've tried...I've read a few articles on SVT and they mentioned to try closing my eyes and putting pressure on them for 15 seconds, also to put my head into cold water...Do these sound familiar to you?....I just wish I ccould take a pill going through the episode to help me convert....

Patrick
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:01 am

User avatar There is no medicine to convert SVT at home. Have you tried the cold water? That's one I haven't heard of but it makes sense, the shock of it may work.

You could go to the ER for IV verapimil, but it has been found to be largely ineffective, converting less than half the patients. Adenosine works best.

On the other hand, you are extremely lucky your episodes do not last long enough to check in LOL!

Be thankful you don't have to be on daily beta blockers.

I'm sorry I can't help you more.
 pschutter - Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:12 am

Thanks again Shannon for all your input...I guess I will just have to try the COLD, COLD, COLD water trick..lol...Hopefully I can recover from my face going numb..lol..

Man I hate going into the ER. The last few times I walked out after it converted..

See yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
 Dr. A. Rajput - Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:16 am

User avatar once the acute episode is reverted..they usually start with low dose oral medication of the standard drugs... have u started oral drugs? if taken regularly they do help in prophylaxis.
 pschutter - Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:30 am

a_medico,

Sorry for such a late reply...No I have not be put on oral medication...I went to see a Cardiologist and he basically said that it will either help out a little or could cause more episodes..I would really like to determine on to convert back quicker rather than going for surgery...I haven't had an episode for over 3 years before this latest one...

Tell me what ya think

Patrick
 Dr. A. Rajput - Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:22 am

User avatar how abt starting a prophylactic daily low dose of verapamil or a beta blocker? kindly consult ur cardiologist or physician regarding this...

thanks

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here