Question: Mystery Pain Remains Undiagnosised

HAETC1 - Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:26 pm

Aloha,

For several years now I randomly feel a sharp pain behind my ear or ears (seemingly following the jugular vein) with a sharp pain in the chest (usually on the out side of one or both sides of the sternum). The pain at the neck varies from feeling like I'm being garroted to having an ice pick stabbed into my ear to a sharp but bearable pain. The chest pain is bearable, but disconcerting.

I've noticed that if I concentrate on taking deep breaths and apply warm pressure to my neck, I can alleviate the pain.

At 42 years of age, I have no history of hypertension, don't smoke, don't drink, eat well, and am in excellent aerobic and anaerobic shape. I am a 6'-3" male who sometimes has what I perceive to be circulation problems: feet (especially) and fingers seem to feel inordinately cool.

Over the years, I have been to an ENT, internist, and cardiologist with no diagnosis. I assume that I'm OK, but I can't help wondering if something is significantly amiss.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

KDP
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:56 am

User avatar Your problem can actually be from stress and anxiety. They can produce an unlimited number of pains, anywhere. They are real, they are not in your head, but they are not from any disease. The fact that they are relieved by deep breathing and heat relaxing is a good indicator that stress is the problem.

Cold hands and feet are another sign of stress; the blood travels more toward the center of your body.

You have been cleared by the specialists, maybe you should talk to your doctor about treating your stress.
 HAETC1 - Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:11 pm

Many thanks for the feedback. Your thoughts makes sense.

|