Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Tachycardia? Why?

Summit - Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:58 pm

I have tachycardia episodes sometimes heartrate is sometimes180 and bounding, at rest. It usually only happens when I quickly bend over, e.g. taking a shower and bending over to wash my feet. I usually have them a couple of time a week. Sometimes I won't have it for over a month.

I have had this problem for years, and I have found over time that when I lay down on my back the heartbeat returns to normal usually instantly. This usually stops it everytime. If it doesn't stop it, then the episode lasts for a few minutes sometimes more.

I haven't really ever felt faint from it, and when I have I just related it to anxiety from having the episode.

I am in my late 20's and noticed this problem when I was around 19 or 20. I am in good shape and exercise regularly. I am wondering if it is imperative I see someone or should I continue the way I have.

The only family history that I am aware of is my grandmother takes nitro for what she calls spells, which cause dizziness. She is in her mid 90's. What do you think?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:43 pm

User avatar Your grandmother's problem is not the same as yours. You do need to be seen by a cardiologist to diagnose your particular problem. It does sound like SVT, which isn't coronary disease, the kind that causes heart attacks, but when the atrium (top part of heart) suddenly beats very rapidly.

PSVT isn't a life threatening condition, but you don't know if that is what it causing your episodes, so you really need to be evaluated by a cardiologist.

|