News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Anxiety attacks and pain in the left arm

jasepru - Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:11 pm

I'm a 35 year old male, who has suffered from anxiety attacks over 20 years. I also have episodes of left arm pain from a possible injury about 10 years ago.
When I have attacks, my arm usually starts to feel pain and feels fatigued, which usually resides shortly after I come down from my attacks.
However, lately the pain now goes from the center of my chest, into my shoulder and down my arm.
This is now prevalent even when I'm not stressing out since I am taking an anti-depressant.
Physical activity helps, as well as Advil. The pain and discomfort is worst when I am at rest especially when I am sitting still.
It does not interfere with my sleep.
There is no pattern, it just comes and goes throughout the day.
I have high cholesterol and am slight anemia and a family history of heart disease on both sides of the family.
I will be visiting my doctor about this issue, but I have just started a new job and have to wait a month until my insurance kicks in.
I know there are a million things it could be, but I'm one of those who thinks of the worst possible outcome. I'm just curious what might be in store for me.
Thanks
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:21 am

User avatar If this is really worrisome, go to the ER. It doesn't sound serious, because of the chronic nature, and it would be worse with activity, and you don't complain of shortness of breath, which would be marked during physical exertion.

Since you do have a history on both sides, you are at very high risk for heart disease yourself, although it is rare to have developed serious coronary disease at your age.

Even though your panic attacks have abated, you are probably still having low level anxiety, and the more you think about these symptoms, the more likely they are to happen, even if there is nothing found with testing.

Chest/arm pain is always something to be evaluated, even if suspected not serious, especially with family history.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here