Question: Anxiety attacks and pain in the left arm

jasepru - Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:11 pm

I'm a 35 year old male, who has suffered from anxiety attacks over 20 years. I also have episodes of left arm pain from a possible injury about 10 years ago.
When I have attacks, my arm usually starts to feel pain and feels fatigued, which usually resides shortly after I come down from my attacks.
However, lately the pain now goes from the center of my chest, into my shoulder and down my arm.
This is now prevalent even when I'm not stressing out since I am taking an anti-depressant.
Physical activity helps, as well as Advil. The pain and discomfort is worst when I am at rest especially when I am sitting still.
It does not interfere with my sleep.
There is no pattern, it just comes and goes throughout the day.
I have high cholesterol and am slight anemia and a family history of heart disease on both sides of the family.
I will be visiting my doctor about this issue, but I have just started a new job and have to wait a month until my insurance kicks in.
I know there are a million things it could be, but I'm one of those who thinks of the worst possible outcome. I'm just curious what might be in store for me.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:21 am

User avatar If this is really worrisome, go to the ER. It doesn't sound serious, because of the chronic nature, and it would be worse with activity, and you don't complain of shortness of breath, which would be marked during physical exertion.

Since you do have a history on both sides, you are at very high risk for heart disease yourself, although it is rare to have developed serious coronary disease at your age.

Even though your panic attacks have abated, you are probably still having low level anxiety, and the more you think about these symptoms, the more likely they are to happen, even if there is nothing found with testing.

Chest/arm pain is always something to be evaluated, even if suspected not serious, especially with family history.

|