Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: T Inversion in my ECG

Ashish - Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:20 pm

I am a fit 35 year old male who runs and exercises 4-5 times a week and doesnt smoke or drink. I am a pilot and in my ECG yesterday T inversion was detected and I am to undergo TMT today. What could be the underlying causes and what precautions should I take at my age..... all other information would be welcome......Thank you for taking your time....
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:26 pm

User avatar Is it a change from your last ECG?

It's definitely imperative you get a stress test, by the way, how did it turn out?

Inverted T-waves can often be a normal variant in adults without cardiac symptoms, depending on the location of the inversion and if there are other abnormalities present.
 drcjb - Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:21 am

I just had a nuclear stress test, and while on the treadmill (I'm 46 and my target rate was 148) the cardiologist observed that I had a "T wave inversion that was pulling my ST wave down. Usually you see it the other way around."
At that point he shrugged and left and the test continued. I'll get the nuclear results in a few days, but even though the doctor seemed casual, I tend to worry. Any idea what his comment means? Just want to know whether to keep worrying or not.
 drcjb - Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:36 am

Sorry, I forgot to add that I went in to the cardiologist because I was having periods of PCAs, which decreased to almost nothing after I stopped caffeine intake. I do not have high blood pressure, but high blood pressure and diabetes run in my family, and my mother (who is 74 and diabetic) was diagnosed with congestive heart failure a couple of years ago. She is being monitored for this by frequent doctor visits and taking Inderal. Just thought I'd add that in case it makes a difference.
 surfdood - Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:55 pm

Dear Dr

I am 36 yr old male. I have this year run 2 marathons and train 3 to 4 times per week. About 3 months ago my wife fell ill in relation to her pregnancy and I have been suffering sleep depravation and bad diet, also my excerise came to a halt. About 4 weeks into this night mare I started to suffer chest pains, dizziness, weekness and gastric problems - which I put down to sleep depravation. I had a health screen. I fasted on the day for bloods, then took a treadmill test. I got to level 6, before they finally got my heart over its calculated max of 182. I had a little pain on the rcovery which I put down to tea and biscuit prior to the test, but this prolong my recovery, which is normally fast.

The result showed a T Wave Inversion from lead III at rest before the test and that the ECG was borderline. I have read abit, and wondered if recent hectic lifestyle could have caused this and are there other possibilties relating to bad sleep, diet and gastric probs - like hypokalemia?

Is a T Wave inversion a warnign signal to slow down, or change life style?
 tim2404 - Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:53 pm

I am a 42 year old male, have not smoked for 12 months and do not drink.
A week before Christmas, I was driving my car and had a pressing pain in my chest,felt sick and short of breath/feint. In A&E they did an ekg which showed an inverted t-wave. They did a blood test and told me I had NOT had a heart attack. They kept me in for a week, and performed an Angiogram. This came up as "barn door "clear with no arterial hardening and good pumping action. They said that the inverted T wave was "just one of those things"
I still get central chest pains even when at rest, and sometimes a pain down the inside of my left arm, these cause me to feel feint and nauseous. These episodes are infrequent maybe once a day, and last 5 minutes or so and I feel very tired after for a couple of hours.

On discharge from the hospital I was refered to my GP who /suggested rest and paracetemol. How definitive is an angiogram? - should I be having other tests? and should I be worried about my T -wave being inverted?
many thanks
Tim
 Dr. A. Madia - Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:06 am

User avatar
Ashish wrote:I am a fit 35 year old male who runs and exercises 4-5 times a week and doesnt smoke or drink. I am a pilot and in my ECG yesterday T inversion was detected and I am to undergo TMT today. What could be the underlying causes and what precautions should I take at my age..... all other information would be welcome......Thank you for taking your time....

Dear Ashish,Its nice to know that you exercise 4-5 times daily and do not smoke or drink. You have not said so but i presume that you do not get short of breath or have chest pain while exerting.

Now at your age and with your lifestyle the most common reason for inverted T in ECG is "non specific" meaning that it does not relate to any specific disease condition and is just there. Again I would qualify this statement by adding that you have not given details of which Leads of the EKG are showing these T inversions. If they are in "Inferior" leads, mostly they are of no importance.

In any case you have been very rightly advised to go for a TMT as this test is more sensitive and will resolve the matter and give the correct cause of your T wave inversion.

Dr Apurva Madia :)
 Dr. A. Madia - Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:13 am

User avatar
tim2404 wrote:I am a 42 year old male, have not smoked for 12 months and do not drink.
A week before Christmas, I was driving my car and had a pressing pain in my chest,
felt sick and short of breath/feint. In A&E they did an ekg which showed an inverted t-wave. They did a blood test and told me I had NOT had a heart attack. They kept me in for a week, and performed an Angiogram. This came up as "barn door "clear with no arterial hardening and good pumping action. They said that the inverted T wave was "just one of those things"

many thanks
Tim

Hi Tim,

An angiogram is considered the Gold Standard for coronary artery disease. Once its normal, you are not sufferring from 'Angina' or ' Heart attack'. The description you have given of your symptoms would also point to a condition of Acid Peptic disease with gastro esophageal reflux disease [GERD] wherein stomach acid regurgitates back in your food pipe. Yoe need to consult a gastroenterologist and need to undergo an Upper GI Endoscopy.

Apurva Madia : :)

|