Question: Weird chest pain and shortness of breath

gabesmom - Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:36 pm

Hello, i am a healthy 21 y/o female with no history of any health problems beside the fact that i do have anxiety. physically i have never had anything wrong. i am currently pregnant and have one child, but my problem started after my son was born and before i got pregnant with this child. one day i just coughed and got this stabbing pain in the left side of chest near the breast bone. it was sudden and sharp and shocking and it really scared me. now i don't have it happen too often, but it does occasionally occur when i am least expecting it. recently i have been feeling short of breath like i can't get enough oxygen to my diaphram. i feel the urge to yawn and when i try it's like i can't get the air in. although i can breath and don't feel dizzy or lightheaded. i feel like it is the left side of my chest. in the past i have had ekg's and chest x-rays and been tested for asthma. it sounds weird but the left side of my chest just feels funny. when i used to lay down at night on that side i would get a slight numbness sometimes. i don't know if it is my anxiety, but i honestly haven't had any anxiety previously until i started worrying about my health which was brought on when i coughed that day and had that sharp pain. now every time i cough i hold my chest in that spot. another thing i have been expierincing is a heartburn like pain particularly in the left side of my chest in the same vicinity, and it comes on for no reason. even when i just wake up in the morning and haven't eaten yet. it dosen't go up my neck. sometimes it goes to the other side, but usually stays there. today earlier when i was breathing deep i got chest pain on the left side near my breast bone area. i am really worried about my health, and want to know what could be wrong with me and what steps i should take. i would appreciate any help that anyone has.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:20 pm

User avatar You have been cleared for heart and lung problems, right?

You may have costochondritis, which is inflammation of the cartiledge within the ribs and is often felt on either side of the breastbone, especially when you breathe really deep. It can be from heavy and/or frequent coughing, or lifting something heavy, any number of things that you probably wouldn't have noticed at the time.

Try taking advil or aspirin or tylenol, whatever your doctor says you can take, preferably advil (ibuprofen) to reduce the inflammation and the pain. If these work, it's musculoskeletal, which is more than likely your problem.

Pregnancy and stress/anxiety or both can cause or aggravate indigestion. You can have it even when you haven't eaten. Ask your doctor what you can take for this, and try to relax!

Congratulations on your pregnancy. :D

|