Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: MVP/ mitral/tricuspid regurgitation

jc10fc - Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:56 am

I had an ech done for fatigue, chest stress and palps. Results indicated leaflet redundancy and thickening. the bottom line was mild holosystolic MVP with mild mitral regur. and triivial tricuspid regurg. My PCP said he believed it would self-correct. What, if any at all, is the significance of this info.? Do these conditions progress, disappear or stay the same?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:52 pm

User avatar Dear jc10fc,

Mitral valve prolapse is a very common condition.

In many cases, it is associated with mitral regurge.

The natural history of mitral valve prolpase with mitral regurge could stay the same for ever or progress to severe mitral regurge which necessitates mitral valve repair or replacement.

In your case, you should have echocardiograms done every year at least to make sure that it is not getting worse. In case of development of new symptoms like worsening shortness of breath you should call your doctor.

Also, if you are going to have your teeth worked on you have to tell your dentist about your condition as some dental procedures should be accompanied by antibiotics given to the patient before hand.

jc10fc - Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:26 pm

Thank you for replying to my message. I apprecaite your time and input. I have found your response helpful. Would you be able to tell me if such a condition ever self-corrects so you no longer have MVP?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:54 am

User avatar Dear jc10fc,

To my knowledge mitral valve prolapse does not regress. It may remain stable or progress.

jc10fc - Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:15 am

Dear Dr. Mokhtar,
Thanks you for your time. I understand how valuable it is. I now have the info. that will help me.

|