Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Possible Aneurysm

UABelle99 - Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:42 pm

Over the summer months, I began to experience a whirring, pulsating sound in my left ear. After several tests on my inner ear, I was sent for an MRI and an MR Angiography. Results of the angiography were: "There is an apporximately 2 cm focal area of flow signal at the anterior margin of the carotid siphon at or adjacent to the origin of the lest ophthalmic artery. A small aneurysm here cannot be excluded. In addition, proximal aspect of the right A2 segment is mildly ectatic. Otherwise, there is no evidence or aneurysm or vasculitis and there is no critical stenosis. IMPRESSION: A very small left carotid siphon aneurysm cannot be excluded. The prximal aspect of the right A2 segment is ectatic."
Can you please put this into layman's terms? Should I be as worried about this as I am? I am only 24 years old and have been very scared since receiving this diagnosis.
Thank you!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:04 pm

User avatar Dear uabelle99,

An aneurysm is an abnormal dilatation of the circumference of a blood vessel.

Your mra report says that you have a possible aneurysm. To make sure whether you have an aneurysm or not and take this off of your mind once and for all if you want, you should have an angiogram done. This is the gold standard for diagnosis of aneurysms.

|