Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: HELP ME PLEASE!!!need advice about heart symptoms

sew - Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:19 pm

I am only 15 years old and I am experiencing a very very fast heart rate and pain with it. I feel like my heart is leaping out of my chest and areas where I take my pulse are very visible against my skin. I have looked at my chest area and I can see that my heart is pressing very very hard against the skin. I got sick the other night from the pain and I am scared. My resting heart rate is in the low 100's and I don't know if that is normal or not. i do not do drugs, smoke or drink and I don't have alot of caffeine in my diet. PLease help me. I don't know if this is something that U should be concerned about or not but I would really like to know waht to do about this? COuld I be having a mini heart attack at only 15?
thank you in advance and please respond as quickly as possible
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:26 pm

User avatar Do you get dizzy or a little short of breath when this happens?

What you are experiencing is not normal, but it's not a heart attack. It could possibly be PSVT, a condition where your heart just starts beating really fast all of a sudden, even at rest. If that is what's going on, it is not fatal.

The next time this happens, try putting your lips around the tip of your thumb and blowing really hard like you were blowing a trumpet for a few seconds. Do this a couple of times, many times this will put the heart back in a normal beating rate. If that doesn't work, try putting your face in ice water.

Of course, we cannot diagnose your problem over the internet, so you need to tell your parents now about this problem; you need to be seen to find out exactly what is going on, OK?
 sew - Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:12 am

hi again.. thank you for your quick response. I did try the things you told me to do. Last night I was up all night with sever pains in my chest and again with the bulging of my chest only this time much worse. Should I be concerned about this? Nothing I have tried has even calmed my heart down the slightest bit. Is there anything eld\se that I can do. PLease help me I am really scared. What could be causing the bulging of my chest? If I go to a doctor wat kind of test would he do on me? I am scared and I am having difficulty breathing now. PLease help me... thank you again. PS what could the problem with my heart be? Is there a diagnosis that mabe you culd inform me of? Thanks again for the help!!!
 Ep6471 - Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:51 pm

Hello

I am a 17 year old male who, after putting a 9V battery on my chest for maybe 7-15 seconds experianced a few seconds of light headedness, and then a chest ache for many hours, there was also a slight ache in my left arm, but that came and went in the space of around half an hour I think.I also felt physically weaker. the following day the chest pain was gone, . but I felt really physically weak initially in the morning, but not so much after a few hours.

after that day these symptoms were gone but sometimes if I breathe very slowly, or don't breathe for a relatively long time my heart will beat heavily such that I can feel it. Also once after eating a very greasy meal of fish and chips I observed a tightness in left side of my chest for around 20 minutes after having eaten, and also after eating a veggy burger and chips in a room once full of smokers I observed the same feeling. Also by just standing in the room full of people smoking I initially felt this tightness in my left chest side, but it went away after a while , even though I was still in the room of people smoking. Also another time after I few sips of wine I felt my heart beating strongly, but this only happened once and after this consumption of alcoholic beverages produce no noticable effects ( I don't drink often at all, and only moderate amounts).
I havent felt the chest tightness since these occasions.

before the battery incident I observe that sometimes when I stand up I feel light headed for a few seconds and sometimes when I drink when I am very thirsty I get a sudden rush of blood to my head.

all help is appreciated

-EP
 lab31262 - Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:06 pm

I'm hoping that you might be able to help point me in the right direction with the symptoms I'm currently experiencing. I am a 33 year old female who has been experiencing shortness of breath, palpitations and tachycardia with minimal exertion (pushing a vacumn, going up stairs, etc.). I also have had atypical chest pain (pain under my breast bone, sometimes under my left arm, tightness in my left shoulder and the side of my neck and occasional numbness and tingling in my arm and hand.), nausea and occasionaly vomiting. I have had a prior abnormal echo showing mild mitral and tricuspid insufficency, elevated pulmonary artery systolic pressure and marked dialation of the left atrium. I have had 3 ekgs 2 normal and one with diffuse st-t wave abnormalities. Of note may be the fact that I have had sepsis 3 times once complicated by SIRS and septic shock.

|