Question: Chest pain, discoloration, and lump under armpit

starcrossed19 - Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:08 pm

I'm really concerned about my younger 15 year old brother. I would really appreciate a quick response! We're going to the doctor tomorrow but have very limited resources (little money, no health insurance) so we would like to have as much direction and insight as possible before pursuing different doctors.

Two years ago when my brother was thirteen he started to have a dark discoloration over his right chest, pretty much overnight. I can't remember if it was all above the nipple or not but right now it's a little past his nipple. It has gradually gotten larger, partly because his skin is expanding as he grows bigger. I think it's generally spreading a bit to his right side. He is Asian and has light, sometimes tan skin, and the discoloration has always been darker brown. He says his skin is hairier where the discoloration is, and it feels a bit scaly like dry skin even though actual scales don't come off.

My brother has had chest pain three times in the past several months. First time this past March, then a month and a half later, then just a few days ago. It lasts up to 2 days. The first and last time, it was his right chest, the second time, his left chest. He describes it as a sharp pain that involves his chest and his side (i.e. right chest and right side, or left chest and left side). It hurts most when he inhales, shifts his body when laying down, and goes down the stairs. The pain was bad enough that it woke him up from sleep once.

Just today, my brother found a lump under his right armpit. It feels like a round bulb, maybe about 1 cm in diameter (not quite sure). I've tried to determine if the lump moves when I touch it, but it was too hard to say. My brother says that it hurts a bit when you push at the lump.

The only other things I can think of to say is that he has been exercising a lot outside lately, and also that about two weeks ago he had a pretty bad cold, but he is all better now. He is 5'11" and I think about 130lbs (underweight in my opinion).

I know that the questions regarding the discoloration and lump are not typical of this specific forum, but I was wondering if there was a connection between where the discoloration and lump is located (right chest, right armpit) relative to his chest (at least for the first and third times he has experienced right chest/right side pains).

Can you please give us your opinion on what you think his symptoms mean? On what illnesses or conditions he may have?

Thank you so very much, this means a lot!
 Kim C, RN - Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:24 pm

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Have you gone to the doctor? What did you find out?? I'm curious about what he/she had to say about this particular group of symptoms.

As far as guidance goes, I'm not real familiar with this cluster of symptoms in someone your brother's age, but I can tell you to question, question, question!! If you don't understand something, ask until you do.

If you've found out information and don't understand, and want to post it on here, I'll be happy to do my best to help.

|