Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: BP 160/100

Avarus - Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:50 am

I'm way overweight, and up to about three months been living a seditary lifestyle for awhile and had palpitations. I went to my doctor who gave me an ecg, physical, and blood work and said that I was okay, but I was worried so I asked for a stress test. That weekend I felt lightheaded so I went to the hospital since the doctor had told me if I felt lightheaded/dizzy I should go to the hospital. There I had another ECG, Bloodwork, and Chest X-rays plus another physical examination (The stethescope and listening to the heart) The doctor there also told me that I was okay and when I came in my BP was like 159/95 or something but the last time they took my BP before I left it was 136/90 or something like that.

Anyway I went to the doctor for the stress test who gave me another ecg but not a stress one, and she took my blood pressure and it was 160/100. But then I talked to the doctor and he assured me that I was fine, but warned me that if I didn't change my ways I wouldn't be so lucky 5 to 10 years from now and then we walked to his room (I was feeling much better because I believe what he said) and he took my blood pressure again and this time it was 130/80. He then proceeded to tell me that I had to ask for a large arm cuff and that small ones would give inaccurate readings.

Anyway zoom about a month or so later when I start my job which is like about 2 hours of cleaning it's pretty intensive I sweat bullets so I figured I was probably doing good healthwise. Anyway they decide they want to try cleaning the building in an hour and half so I start worrying and my palpitations come back, but after the weekend they went away but then I started to feel kind of lightheaded dizzy all the time. It would become more pronounced when towards the ends of my walks or when I was at work but never got to the point where I couldn't stand sometimes I would lean to one side or stumble but it was rare.

I began freaking out so I went to my doctor again and she checked my blood pressure which was 160/100 and listened to my heart but said that I was suffering from anxiety not heart realated issues. Anyway I had a fasting glucose and lipid panel and continued to feel lightheaded and dizzy pretty much asuring myself that I was dying. Went to another doctor since I noticed my dizzyness got a bit more noticible after exercising which freaked me out and I found that dizzyness can be associated with CHF and Cartiroid Artery Disease and thus went to another doctor who said my BP was 150/100 and my esting heart rate was 120!

That scared me and she perscribed effexor and atenolol, but I didn't take it until reffering to my main doctor who has my history and such. She said that there is nothing wrong, that it's my anxiety and that I should just try to ignore it or take the fluoxetine she perscribed and that I don't need to worry so much.

Oh my fasting glucose was low so she told me to eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day to keep it regular and that it could be partly causing my lightheadedness. My HDL was above 1.1mmol and she said my cholesterol and stuff was normal- not optimal.

Anyway I told her my concerns about my HBP and Heart Rate, and that I thought they would go down after 2 months of exercise, but she said not to worry about it and that I am still very overweight. She told me that I should just keep doing what I am doing (Eating right, and exercising daily) and they will come down in time.

I should also note that while that one doctor said my heart rate was 120, I have taken my heart rate after exercising while lying down and my heart rate while sitting and when I am lying don it takes about 10 minutes to drop to anywhere between 75-85 beats a minute and when I am sitting it will usually go o about 85-90.

Anyway is there any reason that she would not believe that my dizziness was caused by my hbp and that I don't need medication? I am thinking that my anxiety was raising my heart rate and BP which is why she doesn't think I need medication.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:31 pm

User avatar Your doctor is correct; you have been cleared for heart disease (at the moment), your blood pressure and pulse go to normal when you relax.

I recommend you do what she said about eating small meals (not junk food) every 3 hours and don't skip meals. This way you avoid low blood sugar and the dizziness that accompanies it.

Try the medication; it will probably help immensely. You will probably have strange side effects at first, that is to be expected. Give it at least three weeks, unless the side effects are serious.

But don't rely on just the meds to do it all, do continue your excercise, eat right, get plenty of sleep, no caffeine or alcohol.

I hope you feel better soon! :D
 Avarus - Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:41 pm

After some research I found out that the types of dizziness associated with heart disease are usually acute as opposed to chronic, and are of a different nature (Presyncope/Syncope) as opposed to the vertigoish version that I get. Not to mention that my job is fairly cariod intensive and while my dizziness can get a bit worse like I said it never gets to the point where I can't keep my balance, and since I mostly do sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming it would explain why it gets worse since I tend to have my head tilted down which in my anxious states only makes me hypersensitive to motion.

|