News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Needle-like chest pains, tinnitus, dizziness, help!

Abigail - Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:35 am

I hope you can advise me,

I am a 28 year old mother of two. I am 5'9" and weigh 156 lb. I have no significant health issues. I have been experiencing intermittent mild chest pains for months now, which I have put down to anxiety and tried to ignore. They feel like a needle or a sharp pinching sensation, quite painful but extremely brief. They don't seem to be related to breathing, exercise, times of stress or anything else so far as I can tell. They are always on the left side. I have also coughed up blood-stained sputum on occasion but have attributed this to the fact that I smoke and tried not to worry about it. Lately I have been noticing the little pains more and a generally uncomfortable sensation in my chest. I've also been feeling woozy and dizzy when I stand up and having a ringing in my ears at least three times a day. Usually I would put it all down to anxiety, which I have a history of, but two days ago my mother collapsed with a pulmonary embolism and we found out she has familial hyperlipidaemia. I am now really frightened and have no idea whether my symptoms could mean something sinister or not. My doctor has got used to dismissing me with reassurances because of my anxiety, and I'm worried that if there is something really wrong he will miss it!
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:09 am

User avatar Since you have a smoking history and have blood stained sputum on occasion, that is definitely something to be evaluated!

The brief sharp chest pains are usually nothing of concern, but any type of chest pain needs to be evalutated, too. How long does the dizziness last? A few seconds or a few minutes or longer?
 Abigail - Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:46 am

Thanks for replying. The dizziness is always just a few seconds, usually when I get up from sitting but sometimes randomly while at rest. It's brief but quite severe, I almost black out sometimes, and it's accompanied by ringing in the left ear.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:57 pm

User avatar It may possibly be postural vertigo, or some other form of vertigo. It doesn't sound like Meniere's disease. If it is vertigo, there are medications your doctor can treat it with.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here