News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: T.M.J. or cardio related??

gartronics - Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:33 am

Sorry about my other posting about "is there a doctor in the house" I was not familiar with how this forum works. anyway, I am a 26 year old male 5,8 tall and around 185 lbs. I used to be alot heavier than that. I once weighed 235 lbs. This all started around 4 years ago when I was 22, One night I was just sitting at home when I began to feel mild chest pain and numbness in my left arm. At this I instantly began having anxiety attacks thinking that i was having a Heart attack. this is when I began walking 2 to 4 miles daily and lost the extra pounds. This went on for about 1 year and I got to the doctor to have it looked at. I have actualy been to 3 doctors over the last 4 years and all have told me that It is not my heart. All my bloodwork was good with bad cholesterol of only 174. I have not had any x-rays done but my blood pressure is always good, even when I am having pain, usualy between 130 over 70 to 139 over 80. My mother works in the medical field and she has listened to all 4 chambers of my heart and detects no abnormalities. Just recently, probably with in the last year my jaw has began to hurt as well. when there is a lot of sound in a small area my hearing gets "staticy" like a distorting speaker. I have pain in my chest,sometimes brief but sharp and sometimes burning. also stiff sholders and neck and not limited to just the left side. I have also had tooth pain, headace, and the most worring part, Numbness. The numbness alternates where it takes place, sometimes my hands but recently has been my feet, one time I had numbness in all 4 limbs at once and felt dizzy for a moment.all of these symptoms come and go vering in intensity. I do alot of research on the internet and this all matches T.M.J. symptoms, and my jaw does pop when I push on the joint and open my mouth, but the anxiety mounts and I feel like "what if The doctors are wrong?" "what if I have something wrong?" I get really scared and usualy get in the car and drive to the hospital E.R. but by the time I get there the symptoms are dissapating and i just turn around and go home. I really need reassurance that I do not have a heart problem, I try to tell myself all the positive things I mentioned but anxiety still takes control. I am now taking st.Johns Wort and it seems to help keep me calm. sorry for the legnth of this post but I needed to tell you all that I could. Thanks for being there.
 Kim C, RN - Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:34 pm

Bumping this up for you so someone will see it... AND to add my thoughts. :D

To ease your mind, your symptoms really do sound like something much more skeletomuscular in nature. Neck/back problems can cause numbness and pain in the areas you've described. TMJ is also another viable option in what's possibly ailing you.

Take a deep breath. Look at the statistics. You are young with good lab work. You've lost the weight. Are you maintaining that weight loss with a healthy diet? No smoking? Regular exercise? If not, make these lifestyle changes if you can. Your blood pressure is within a reasonable range as well. Your risk factors seem to be very low, from what you've described.

Anxiety seems to be an issue for you. I would be anxious too if I thought I was having a heart attack!! I'm glad the St. John's Wort is working for you, but have you spoken to your physician about your anxiety?? An anxiety attack can also mimic the symptoms of heart problems... shortness of breath, feeling sweaty, etc. Please talk to your doc about this. Anxiety is nothing to be ashamed of, and there are ways of treating it. You deserve to feel better!! I honestly think that if you address the anxiety issue, you will resolve a lot of your symptoms.

Also, a visit to the dentist to confirm a TMJ diagnosis might also be very beneficial, both to discuss treatment options and to calm you.

Good luck to you, and I hope you can get a resolution to your problem. Please feel free to post anytime you have questions.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here