News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: ischemia only on 2 EKGs

courage - Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:06 pm

I have had chest pains since I was 16. I have regular EKGs due to having a severe eating disorder. Why has ischemia only showed up on two EKGs? One was just two weeks ago. The other was several years ago. What does this mean? I am assuming there is no real concern. However, I would like some sort of explanation.
 Kim C, RN - Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:17 pm

EKG's are not static. They are a snapshot of your heart's electircal activity over a period of a few seconds. In other words, they can change from one moment to the next.

Sometimes the machine interpretation is incorrect. Machines follow a set of "rules" during interpretation and don't take into account varying factors. Thus, the "interpretation" that the machine prints out on the EKG can be incorrect. The physician looks at the actual tracing, taking into account the patient's status as well, and then makes an accurate interpretation.

Who told you that there were ischemic changes on your EKG? Was this information that you took from an EKG printout? Or was this a physician-read EKG?
 courage - Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:20 pm

They were both physician read.
 Dr. A. Rajput - Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:54 am

User avatar There is somethg called 'post prandial angina' .. in which there is chest pain after meals.

Though I don't think there's a factor of concern in your case Because:

1) the young age factor is on your side

2) only 2 ekgs amongst several were showing changes.

Still you cant deny the changes.

May I suggest you get the opinion of one more physician.

Best luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here