Question: Mild left side discomfort

afnospam - Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:55 pm

I'm 42 and consider myself out of athletic shape (use to run 5 miles a day 10 yrs ago) but with no major health issues. I have hypertension (140/90 untreated, 110/65 treated) and take Micardis 80mg once a day. Recently I have been having mild discomfort in the chest, most sensitive between the 4/5/6 ribs on my left side, next to the sternum. In the past I have experienced arrhythmia from about 17 years old, being a non-event until 5 years ago (found during EKG), and now it has returned on occasion. The arrhythmia normally manifests itself in 2 ways, sounding like, beat-beat-beat-bump or beat-bump-beat (normal I would describes as beat-bump, beat-bump, etc.). Episodes can last for several minutes and normally occur when resting. They will correct themselves or I can take a deep breath, touch my toes, and compress my chest and normal rhythm occurs. The arrhythmia does not seem (as far as I am aware) directly to the discomfort. The discomfort may last half a day or just a few minutes, but is never severe or escalating in pain. I do snore and have been tested for sleep apnea but scoped minimal on the test requiring no treatment (advise was to loose weight and exercise). I have an appointment to see the general doctor and would like feedback to discuss this with him. Any ideas on what my symptoms relate too would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:10 am

User avatar Does the pain worsen with certain positions? Maybe with a deep breath as well?

It does sound like you are having palpitations, harmless and everyone gets them from time to time, but with your risk factors, it's definitely something to confirm. The fact that you can stop them in the manner you mentioned is a good clue; that is one method recommended for palpitations (PVCs).

The pain, if you can affect it, is exactly in the right place to be costochondritis, an inflammation of the cartiledge between the ribs and sides of the sternum. It is a fairly common malady as well; treated with antiinflammatories and time. Ask your doctor about taking them, especially if you suffer from reflux or have a history of ulcers.

|