News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Blood Vein

Hands - Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:43 pm

(Please excuse my lack of correct terminology) :)

My question is about a blood vein in my hand. The vein in question is on the top of my right hand and runs across the tendon that connects to my fingers. When I wiggle my fingers this vein will "slip" across the tendons connected to my ring and middle fingers..and slip back into place (whichever is its correct place...i don't know) It's not painful, but I do feel a "wiggling" sensation as it jumps over the tendons.

If there is a name for this....I could look it up on google...If I could just get pointed in the right direction.......

I work in data entry, but I started noticing this long before I started typing. As I said it's not painful, but it worries me, as my job and my hobby (playing guitar) are both hand intensive activites.

Thanks in advance
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:52 pm

User avatar Hand,
There is absolutely nothing to worry about. The superficial veins of the hand run in a layer of skin called the subcutaneous fat. This, as the name says contains fat padding the structures that pass through it. What you have is normal. The tendons beneath the vein are able to move it. There is no danger from excessive friction between the tendon and the vein as they are covered by fat. The fat eliminates any friction between these structures and effectively insulates them from one another.

Regards,
 Hands - Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:03 pm

WOW! Thank you for the quick response. I like what the message relays as well. I could have saved quite a bit of searching time if I had found this place sooner. Your time and effort are greatly appreciated!

Cheers

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here