News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Severe Heart Palpitations

Unlmtd261 - Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:14 am

I was diagnosed with Severe Heart Palpitations about two years ago, and they just seem to be getting worse and worse as the days pass, usually happens every week, and they seem to be going longer and longer every time. I was told by the doctor in the ER that they were not serious, but HOW, if the regular BPM is about 90-95, and my heart is going 180 BPM, can't that result in my heart stopping or getting stressed or something, I don't understand?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:17 pm

User avatar Thank you very much for using our website.

Palpitations is the sensation of feeling your heart beats.

Normally we do not feel our hearts beating because they beat in a regular fashion (rhythm and rate) and we are accustomed to the strength of the beat so it does not disturb us.

If there is a change in the strength or any irregularity of the heart rhythm or change in the heart rate (whether racing or slowing), then we will start feeling our heart beating.

Having palpitations is a common frequent complaint among healthy young adults. To make sure that there is nothing going on, usually, an ECG is done together with some blood tests including a thyroid function test and also an echocardiogram is sometimes done to exclude mitral valve prolapse, a common condition that causes palpitations.

If you still have these palpitations, after all possibilities have been persued, and they are really bothering you, the best thing to do is to take a beta-blocker type medication such as inderal which helps both arrhythmia and anxiety.

A heart rate of 180 is obviously much higher than normal. How long does is this high rate sustained and how frequent is this problem? Certainly, a sustained tachycardia of this sort can stress the heart in more ways than one. A sustained tachycardia is also something should be investigated. I would suggest you consult with a cardiologist.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here