News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Chest Pain and Discomfort for 1 week.

sybase2003 - Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:45 pm

Hello Everyone,

About 1 week, I started feeling some tingling and a feeling on tightening in my chest and left arm. Thursday night, I went to the go to the ER because the discomfort was getting worse.

They did an EKG and everything checked out normal... They classified it as an "atypical chest pain" which was not "heart pain". They gave me ibuprofin to help ease the discomfort...

Friday I met with my doctor who referred me to a cardiologist for further evaluation (since I have a history of heart problems in my family - high cholesterol and father had a heart attack at 53)...

The cardiologist gave me a stress test w/an echocardiogram... Again, everything seemed fine.. The only issue was my cholestorol (Total 240) for which I am now on Lipitor.

He believes that it may be acid passing up the esophagus which hits the same nerves that are close to the heart... He gave been some meds (protonix and carafate) to keep the acidity under control.

Even with the "good news" about it not being heart releated - i am very concerned since this tingling and discomfort in my chest and arm have not subsided... I still continue to get a tingling/burning/squeezing sensation from the center to the left side of my chest, under my arms to the elbow.. Now, I am also getting stronger squeezing sensations in my mid to upper back..

I am still pretty young (30) and in good shape, but I am still very scared out especially since I do have an issue with high cholesterol - i have pretty much had high cholestorol for many years...

I have a followup with my cardiologist on Dec 2nd to see if the protonix and carafate have helped, but I was wondering if I should insist on further testing of my heart. I would like to have the thallium test if not a cath test just to assure me that there is no problem... These are supposed to be more accuarate in detecting blockages correct?

For some reason my gut tells me that there is something more that just "reflux"

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:21 am

User avatar Dear Sybase2003,

i am sure that you were already seen by your doctor.

If you were not checked for an x-ray of your spine, i would suggest that you do that.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here