Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Mitral Regurgitation

Anonymous - Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:19 pm

I had an echocardiogram on August 30, 2002. I have been informed that I have mitrial regurgitation. My understanding is that it is a mild case. I am 71 years of age and please don't write me off because of age although I know it is an important factor. I am other wise in good physical condition and excercise a lot. I am concerned about excercising too strenously which I often do. I excercise about 5 times a week. The excercise is walking for 35-60 minutes, then doing situps, pushups, and light weights. I don't do all the excercises every day and try to alternate. I work out about an hour to an hour and a half during the excercise days. Should I have any concerns about this regimen now that mitrial regurgitation has been diagnosed? Generally speaking, is this disease progressive?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:20 pm

User avatar Dear guest,

Thank you very much for using our website.

After echocardiograms were discovered, mild cases of valve regurgitation especially aortic and mitral have been discovered. Regurgitation might be so mild that it does not have any significant hemodynamic effect on your heart.

A person that has hemodynamically significant mitral regurgitation can not exercise the kind of exercise that you describe simply becuase his heart can not take it.

i have not seen you or examined you personaly, but it looks that even if you have mitral regurge, it looks that it is not affecting you in any way. You also did not mention what was the size of your left ventricle and the size of your left atrium and the ejection fraction percentage on the echocardiogram, did you have mitral valve prolapse? because some of these paramaters help with the assessment of the case in general. Other consideration is why did you have the echocardiogram? Did you have any symptoms? Do you have any chronic medical problems?

Regarding the progress of the disease, it is according to the cause of the regurgitation. But if you are concerned, you can have a follow up echocardiogram every year to make sure that you are following the regurgitation or at the first symptom of unusual (to you) shortness of breath for your usual exertion, you have to call your doctor to arrange for another echocardiogram.

Once more thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and best of luck.

|