Forum Name: Congenital Heart Disease in Adults

Question: VSD has enlarged

BeccaSue1975 - Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:17 pm

[color=blue][/color]Hi :)
My name is Rebecca. I am a 28 year old female. I was born with a large VSD. The VSD was never repaired as it closed significantly, on it's own. In 1996 the VSD was found to be 1mm in diameter. I had not had an echo since the one in 1996. This October I had an echo done and the hole had increased in size from 1mm to 1.5cm. I am sheduled for a TEE next week. I am nervous about this whole thing. I am currious to know some kind of statistics on adults who have VSD's that increase in size. I haven't been able to find any information on what would cause this enlargement or what the results of the hole getting larger can have on my body. Am I going to just drop dead? I have 3 very young children and I would of course like to live a long life. I would so appreciate any information that can be provided in regards to this situation.
Thanks in advance,
Rebecca S. Gay
 sisohel - Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:08 pm

Dear Rebeca,
It is quiet natural for a VSD to enlarge during adulthood and you are not going to die of it. All you need is a quick repair of the defect by a cardiac surgeon soon.
Regards,

|