Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Question about my cholesterol

kabeebabee - Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:09 pm

:? my docot said my cholesterol is high that it is 979. I am currently taking 3 different meds for it. What am I at risk for with my cholesterol being this high. Is it on the verge of heart attack , i just don't know if this is extremely high and if i should worry.
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:09 am

User avatar Hi!

Does high cholesterol run in your family? At what age did your mother have her heart ailment that necessitated a bypass surgery? When you mentioned your cholesterol level, did you mean total cholesterol? How high was your 'HDL' type cholesterol? Have your thyroid, liver, and kidney functions been assessed?

Coronary heart disease is what you are at risk of with a high cholesterol, with your hypertension and diabetes adding to that risk. If your mother had her first heart disease before the age of 55, that would be yet another risk onto your list. I cannot definitely tell you if you are on the verge of a heart attack without looking into an angiogram, but I would definitely worry about your cholesterol level as long as it's not the 'HDL' type of cholesterol. A very high 'HDL' type cholesterol has a protective effect and would cancel one risk, if that is the case. A smoking history would again add to the risk.

Yet another risk would be brain attack or stroke.

Warm regards,

- Bill
 kabeebabee - Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:18 am

HI. well my mom had her bypass at age 42. High cholesterol doesnt run in the family that i know of. Not in the immediate family anyway. I am not sure about my cholesterol numbers, i just know that is was 979, i assume its total. He didnt say anymore than that. And the doctor also said it was extrwemely high. I had to see one of the docs partners when he was out one day and the other doc looked at it and said, Holy Sh*t, so i assume its not good. WEas thyroid was checked about a year ago adn was fine. I am scheduled for a liver test next month. And I do smoke.
What does a liver and kidney test tell you? Thanks for the input.
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:07 pm

User avatar Hi!

Indeed your cholesterol value is the highest I have ever encountered.

Smoking is the single most significant source of preventable morbidity and premature death in the United States. Smoking is the best risk factor to eliminate to prevent heart-disease-related deaths.

High cholesterol could be due to two causes. Primary cause and secondary cause. Primary causes include Familial variety, in which one need not always expect one's family members to have the same problem (the polygenic variety). However, it would be best to screen the family to detect a primary variety. The secondary causes include diet, hypothyroidism, diabetes, nephrotic syndrome, uremia, liver disease, dysproteinemia, and certain drugs including thiazide diuretics, beta-adrenergic antagoniss, glucocorticoids, estrogens, progestins, retinoids, anabolic steroids, alcohol all have effect on cholesterol.

To rule out the secondary causes like hypothyroidism, nephrotic syndrome, and liver disease, it would be best to assess the thyroid, the kidney, and the liver respectively.

Among the drugs you take, dyazide would probably help increase your cholesterol because of its thiazide content.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

- Bill
 kabeebabee - Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:36 pm

well i found out that my tryglicerides is waht is the high one. I was rechecked last week and my tryclicerides were 569. My cholesterol he said was 178. Both of the numbers are down from the previous tests 3 months ago. But he said my tryclicerides are to high and to watch my carbs. Thanks for the input.

|