Question: Chest pressure

beenaboo - Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:12 am

I am a 26 year old female who is overweight and has history of high blood pressure and heart problems in the family. Over the past week and a half I have had this pressure in my chest that feels like somebody is constantly pushing down on it also with some numbness in my left arm. I was in the emergency room a week ago today and they ran an ekg along with a chest x-ray and a cat scan of my chest and everything came back normal. They sent me home with an antibiotic and ibuprofen and Ultram for the pain. I have not seen any improvement in this pressure at all. The pressure also seems to be worse with exertion, or when taking in a deep breath, the only relief I get from this constant pressure is when lying down. Can you help?
 sisohel - Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:50 am

Thank you for your questio.There are a lot of reasons for chest pressure. You could have a gaseoud distension of the stomach or a mild angina.What was the result of your ekg?did it show any changes?Please review to your doctor or consult a cardiologist.
Regards,
 beenaboo - Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:18 pm

Thank you for your reply. The ekg they did at the hospital showed normal results. I called my family doctor today and talked to her nurse about my symptoms and they said that it would be advisable for me to go to the er and push for more tests with my heart...why can't my doctor order them instead of me having to pay another huge er bill. The pressure is coming and going but the numbness in my left arm is constant. I also feel that my blood pressure may be high (it isn't normally). Do you think I should go to the er or should I contact another doctor first like a cardioligist? And how hard would it be to get into a Cardio Doctor without the reference of a family doctor? I appreciate all of your advice.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:46 pm

User avatar Dear Beenaboo,

Thank you very much for using our website.

Chest pain in a 26 years old female is usually not related to coronary disease which is the most feared of all the causes of chest pain as females are protected by their hormones during the child bearing period. Although your pain has some of the typical characteristics of coronary pain (pressure in nature, going to left arm and increasing with exercise), yet it has other atypical characteristics (increasing with deep breathing and having continuous chest pressure and left arm numbness).

Since you went to the er during the pain and had an ekg done and was normal during the pain, my inclination is to go with other causes of non-cardiac origin.

i would suggest that you have an x-ray of the neck spine to make sure that you don't have a problem with your neck spine as this continuous left arm numbness is a sign of a neck spine problem (compressed nerves).

Once more thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

|