Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers
provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not
replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site
visitor and his/her physician."
Back to Cardiology Answers List
- Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:45 pm
I had a routine tubal ligation on Dec 30th and when I awoke I was told I have a mass,cyst,hematoma, on my Aorta located where the artery branches into two.
They took a picture and it is blue in color. They OB/GYN says it is a hematoma from surgery and to wait 8 weeks, take another CT and see if it has gone down.
The Surgeon he called in to look at it before closing me up said it is a cyst and is softball size and needs to come out. The CT scan shows the size at 1.56cm by 3.07 cm. You can see and feel my heart beat pulsate by my navel when I law down.
Aneurysms run in my family and my Dad had a Triple A repaired using a new stent. I am otherwise a healthy 37 yr old female. I am scared and confused. These doctors don't agree on the diagnosis. When I ask them could this be an a Triple A, they both
say "no". Is there any other tests to determine what this mass is? I am so worried and anxoius I have started to have panic attacks. I have 3 beautiful kids to take care of. I don't want to have surgery but I want to know what it is and if it could be cancer.
Should I be looking for a special kind of Doctor to deal with this health concern?
| Dr. Yasser Mokhtar
- Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:46 am
Thank you very much for using our website.
Abdominal aortic aneurysms are quite rare in females under the age of 70 years. So, most probably what you have is not an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
A hematoma is a bruise. A cyst is a collection of fluid which is most of the time benign. So, most probably there is no need to panic.
If you are really confused, you can ask for a second opinion from a third physician or surgeon or if you are really concerned about the nature of this mass, you can ask your physician to refer you to an oncologist (a tumour specialist) to take his opinion about the nature of this mass.
i know it is difficult to wait but my suggestion at the present time is to wait for the 8 weeks and then have the follow-up ct scan of the abdomen to see the progress of the mass.
If it is a hematoma, it should be resolving, if a cyst, most probably it will either remain the same size or increase slightly.
Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and please, keep me posted.
Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.